Thunder Announce Roster Moves; Sign Pair of Rookies
Wichita, KS (Dec. 2nd) - The Wichita Thunder, proud member of the ECHL and powered by Toyota, announced several roster moves before the team's three-game Eastern road swing this weekend. Defenseman Zack Josepher has been dealt to the Missouri Mavericks for future considerations. Added to the roster are forwards Erik Higby and Kyle Gibbons, who signed ECHL SPC agreements. The Thunder have activated forward Kurtis Bartliff and goaltender Tim Boron while placing forward Nikita Kashirsky and defenseman Kirill Tulupov on reserve. Goaltender Ben Meisner has been released from his ECHL agreement.
Higby, 25, signed an Amateur Tryout Contract with the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League (AHL) in the beginning of October before reporting to the Missouri Mavericks. A native of Detroit Michigan, the 5-foot-9, 175-pound forward wrapped up a four-year collegiate career at Northern Michigan University where he totaled 58 points 27g, 31a) in 128 career games. Higby was a +42 in 2012-13 and won the Ed Ward Most Improved Player Award during his senior season. The rookie forward is no stranger to the Sunshine S tate, having played one season for the Topeka RoadRunners of the NAHL in 2009-10, where he racked up 80 points (27g, 53a) in just 57 games. He led the league in plus/minus with a +36 and was named the NAHL's Forward of the Year and Most Valuable Player Award.
Gibbons, 23, began the season with the Indy Fuel of the ECHL. A native of Westlake, Ohio, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound forward turned pro last season after finishing up school at Canisius College. He went on to play for the Toledo Walleye, appearing in 10 games and recording three assists. He was a standout for the Golden Griffins, piling up 130 points (57g, 73a) in 152 career games. In 2012-13, Gibbons led Canisius an Atlantic Hockey Association title and their first-ever NCAA Division I National Tournament and finished 12th in the NCAA in points (43), eighth in goals (21) and sixth in power play goals with nine. He holds several school records including postseason points (23), tied at the top with nine career postseason goals, single-tournament assists (8 in 2013) and the fastest goal to start a game in school history (12 seconds). Prior to heading to college, he played one season for the Lincoln Stars of the USHL, recording 29 points (14g, 15a) in 56 games.
Wichita begins a four-game road swing this Friday evening across the border against the Brampton Beast starting at 6:30 p.m. central time. After a two-game set in Ontario, the Thunder will head to Elmira, New York for their first-ever meeting with the Jackals.
Individual tickets are on sale now. Don't delay! Tickets can be purchased at the INTRUST Arena Box office, by calling 755-SEAT or go online at www.selectaseat.com. Stay up-to-date on all the news during the season by visiting www.wichitathunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2014
- Mavericks Take 3-2 Regulation Win over Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mavs Rally, Down Mallards 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Announce Roster Moves; Sign Pair of Rookies - Wichita Thunder
- Czarnowczan Rejoins Walleye - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- K-Wings Pack the Car Night Tomorrow - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles to Host Second Annual 107.9 The Bear Teddy Bear Toss - Colorado Eagles
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Weekly Weather Report: Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton - Stockton Thunder
- Spurgeon Loaned to Adirondack Flames - Ontario Reign
- Cann the Man - ECHL Goalie of the Week - Brampton Beast
- Emmett Relieved of Head Coaching Duties - Atlanta Gladiators
- Brampton's Cann Named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Game Preview: Tulsa vs. Allen - Tonight at 7:05 p.m. - Tulsa Oilers
- Missouri Acquires Two-Time Hockey East National Championship Defenseman - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mike Little Named AMI Graphics Plus Performer of the Month - Florida Everblades
- Komet Winger Meurs ECHL Player of the Week - Fort Wayne Komets
- Fort Wayne's Meurs Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Trevor Ludwig Honored by the ECHL - Allen Americans
- Allen's Ludwig, Florida's Little Share AMI Graphics ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Road Warriors Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - December 2 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Beat Idaho 4-3 in Shootout After Being Down Early - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wichita Thunder Stories
- Thunder Falter Late in Shootout Loss to Kansas City
- Thunder Blanks Mavericks on Wizards Night
- Thunder Returns Home for Two Great Weekend Promotions
- Thunder Acquires Former Kelly Cup Champ Roy from Allen
- Thunder, Mavs Partner with the Salvation Army for Kettle Challenge