Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. -- Dylan Thompson's seven strong innings and timely hitting from Mike Hart and Chris Grayson led the Sioux Falls Canaries to a 2-1 win over the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks on Saturday at Sioux Falls Stadium.
The win is the Birds' fifth in a row, their longest winning streak of the season. They now lead their four-game series with Fargo-Moorhead three games to none.
Dylan Thompson got the win for the Canaries, posting one of his best starts of the season. The right-hander threw seven innings of one-run ball, allowing just five hits. He walked one and struck out seven.
The Birds opened the scoring in a second on a Mike Hart RBI single. Hart's single extended his hitting streak to 16 games, the longest active hitting streak in the American Association.
The Birds made it 2-0 in the third when Chris Grayson knocked an RBI single. Grayson has driven in a run in nine of his last 11 games, good for 10 RBIs in total.
The RedHawks scored their only run in the sixth on a solo home run by Chris Jacobs, his 12th of the year.
The Birds' bullpen hung on from there. Nicco Blank pitched a scoreless eighth and Kyle Schepel pitched a perfect ninth to earn his 10th save of the year.
The Birds play their last Sunday home game of the year to finish their four-game set with the RedHawks. Trey McNutt will get the start for the RedHawks; it'll be a "bullpen day" for the Canaries. Kids can run the bases after the game and all fans can get postgame autographs from the team. Birds fans can get tickets at the Sioux Falls Stadium box office or by calling 336-6060.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2018
- T-Bones with Comeback in Ninth to Beat X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose Playoff-Type Game, 4-2, to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Leave 13 on Base in 4-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Zhang Tao Leads Texas to 4-1 Win in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Hang on to Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Best Goldeyes in Rosemont - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Add Depth in Bullpen for Playoff Run, Sign Triple-A Righty Evan Mitchell - St. Paul Saints
- X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones' Fight to the Finish Comes up Short - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.