Railroaders Hang on to Even Series
CLEBURNE, Texas - Angelo Gumbs recorded his second three-hit night of 2018, and the Railroaders combined for 14 hits in an 9-5 win over the Wichita Wingnuts at The Depot on Saturday night.
Gumbs went 3-for-4 with a pair of singles and a double, and Cleburne jumped out to an early 5-0 lead and held on to even the series.
Cleburne struck first on Hunter Clanin's two-out single in the 1st inning, and after Angel Rosa made it 2-0 with an RBI single in the 2nd Levi Scott clubbed a three-run homer to give Cleburne a five-run lead in the frame.
The Wingnuts answered with two runs in the 4th, but Angel Rosa extended the lead back to four with his second homer in as many nights. Clanin later added a run with another RBI single in the inning.
Wichita got a pair of runs back with Angel Reyes's two-run homer in the 5th inning, but Mike Gulino singled in Cam Monger and restored a four-run lead in the bottom-half of the inning.
Monger later homered for the 10th time this year to extend Cleburne's lead back to 9-5 in the 7th inning.
Cleburne starter Josh Hodges went 5.2 innings and gave up five runs on eight hits with three walks and five strikeouts. The Cleburne bullpen combined to toss 3.1 scoreless innings in relief, and Will Mathis went four-up, four-down before Jesus Sanchez pitched a 1-2-3 8th inning.
Shawn Blackwell, in a non-save situation, worked around a leadoff single and faced the minimum following a game-ending 4-6-3 double play in the 9th inning.
Trevor Sealey went 2-for-5 and extended his hitting streak to 14 games, tying Levi Scott for the longest by any Cleburne Railroader this year. Cam Monger went 3-for-4 and scored a game-high three runs, while all nine Railroader starters reached safely.
The four-game series continues on Sunday evening at 6:05 p.m. Cleburne will send RHP Dylan Mouzakes to the mound to face RHP Tyler Kane. Good seats are still available and can be purchased at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2018
- T-Bones with Comeback in Ninth to Beat X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose Playoff-Type Game, 4-2, to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Leave 13 on Base in 4-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Zhang Tao Leads Texas to 4-1 Win in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Hang on to Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Best Goldeyes in Rosemont - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Add Depth in Bullpen for Playoff Run, Sign Triple-A Righty Evan Mitchell - St. Paul Saints
- X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones' Fight to the Finish Comes up Short - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.