T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - The Kansas City T-Bones waited until the last inning Saturday night to ruin the Sioux City Explorers party at Mercy Field at Lewis and Clark Park.
Facing a 1-0 deficit, the T-Bones got their first pinch-hit RBI of the season when Adrian Nieto came off the bench to single, bringing the tying run home in the form of Alay Lago. Two batters later Mason Davis drove a double to the left field corner off X's closer Eric Karch to drive in the go-ahead run.
Cody Winiarski got a 1-2-3 save facing the top of the order to notch the win and end a five-game road losing streak.
The rest of the game saw two solid pitching efforts with Lefty Ian McKinney for Sioux City and righty Tommy Collier of KC, dealing zeros across the board. Collier retired the X's in order in the second, third, fifth and sixth innings. He would go on to hold Sioux City to four hits with four strike outs. McKinney would work around four walks but add six strike outs before he left the game in the eighth.
In the seventh Sioux City got their first hit since the fourth when Jose Sermo hit a solo home run to right for a 1-0 lead. That ended a streak of 10 straight batters retired by Collier. KC would threaten in the top of the eighth, eventually chasing McKinney on a single and a walk. With two outs Patrick Schuster got the final out to end the T-Bones chance.
That set up the dramatic ninth inning. Lago reached base on a dropped fly ball in center by Luis Durango. Lago made a heads-up move, racing to second for KC. After a Keith Curcio pop out to short, Logan Moon reached on an infield single to put runners at the corners. From there, Nieto and Davis did their thing to drive in the two unearned runs.
The T-Bones won their 50th game of the season and increased their lead in the wild card race to two games over Wichita who lost Saturday night at Cleburne. Collier (9-3) got the win while Karch (2-2) was charged with the loss. Winiarski picked up his ninth save.
The Kansas City (50-28) and Sioux City (58-21) will wrap up the four-game series Sunday night at 6:05 pm. The game be heard on the T-Bones Broadcast Network. The T-Bones will return home to T-Bones Stadium Tuesday night at 7:05 pm opening a six game home stand against the Fargo-Morehead RedHawks.
Season, group tickets, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2018
- T-Bones with Comeback in Ninth to Beat X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose Playoff-Type Game, 4-2, to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Leave 13 on Base in 4-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Zhang Tao Leads Texas to 4-1 Win in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Hang on to Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Best Goldeyes in Rosemont - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Add Depth in Bullpen for Playoff Run, Sign Triple-A Righty Evan Mitchell - St. Paul Saints
- X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones' Fight to the Finish Comes up Short - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.