RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Entering Saturday's contest at CHS Field, Gary and St. Paul were tied for first place in the North Division. However, the RailCats regained sole possession of first place and snapped their three-game losing streak with a 4-2 nail-biting victory behind 3.1 scoreless innings from the bullpen and a go-ahead home run from Tillman Pugh in the top of the seventh.
Adam Quintana (6) secured the win with a scoreless bottom of the ninth in the save, however, it came in dramatic fashion. Quintana retired the first two in order to begin the frame but allowed St. Paul to load the bases with two outs in the frame on consecutive singles and a walk. With the bases loaded and Burt Reynolds at the plate, Quintana got Reynolds swinging in front of 8,252 in attendance to end the game.
Scott Plaza (2-0) earned his first American Association road win in his fifth appearance of the year after retiring all three hitters he faced while Jack Fowler (6) got Kyle Barrett to groundout to end the seventh inning in his team-high sixth hold. Myles Smith (5) threw six straight balls to begin the bottom of the eighth but struck out the next three batters he faced to end the eighth in a hold. Mike Devine (4-3) was charged with the loss in his second appearance of the series after allowing a solo home run to Pugh to begin the seventh.
Gary (44-33) took their first lead of the series with a run in the top of the first. Pugh recorded the first hit of the night with an opposite-field single with one out before advancing to second on a catching error by St. Paul second baseman Zach Walters. Colin Willis then extended his career-high on-base streak to 28 games with an RBI single into center, scoring Pugh from second.
St. Paul (44-35) quickly countered with two runs in the bottom of the first to take their only lead of the contest. Max Murphy led off the frame with a single to left before Barrett blasted a two-run home run on to the porch in right-center. The home run was Barrett's fourth of the year and the Saints' sixth of the series.
The RailCats tied the game at 2-2 with a two-out run in the sixth. Reggie Wilson drew a two-out walk before Andy De Jesus recorded his second hit with a single to right-center, giving Gary runners on the corners. Will Savage then delivered a two-out RBI single just over the leaping reach of Saints shortstop Joey Wong, bringing home Wilson from third.
Pugh gave the 'Cats the lead for good with an opposite-field solo home run to right to begin the seventh inning. The homer was Pugh's sixth of the season and Gary's first of this four-game series. Gary added an insurance run in the ninth on the second passed ball from Saints catcher Justin O'Conner, allowing Savage to score from third.
Gary and St. Paul wrap up their four-game series in the final regular-season contest against one another on Sunday evening at 5:05 p.m. RailCats LHP Alex Gunn (7-5, 4.42) makes his league-high 18th start against former RailCat and current Saints RHP Jake Matthys (5-7, 4.71) in the series finale.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Monday, August 13th for the start of a six-game, seven-day homestand. Monday's series opener vs. the back-to-back American Association Champion Winnipeg Goldeyes is at 7:10 p.m. and is another All You Can Eat Night and Metro PCS Monday. Fans can purchase their $10 All You Can Eat Wristband for hot dogs, peanuts and popcorn at the box office before and during Monday's game against the Goldeyes.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2018
- T-Bones with Comeback in Ninth to Beat X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose Playoff-Type Game, 4-2, to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Leave 13 on Base in 4-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Zhang Tao Leads Texas to 4-1 Win in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Hang on to Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Best Goldeyes in Rosemont - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Add Depth in Bullpen for Playoff Run, Sign Triple-A Righty Evan Mitchell - St. Paul Saints
- X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones' Fight to the Finish Comes up Short - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Care Launched to Benefit Local Organizations
- RailCats Announce Latest Set of Off-Season Roster Moves
- RailCats Announce Front Office Additions Including American Association's First Female Lead Broadcaster
- RailCats to Honor Indiana Beach Passes During 2020 Season
- RailCats Announce Off-Season Roster Moves