X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras
Sioux City, IA - In an instant classic the Sioux City Explorers were able to beat the Kansas City T-Bones 3-2 on a walk off single by Jay Baum in eleven innings.
The Explorers got their first run of the game in the bottom of the first. For the second straight night the first two men reached on singles. This time it would be Jose Sermo to drive Luis Durango in with a base hit to right field to make it 1-0 Sioux City.
That's the way the score would stay for awhile as both pitchers were able to settle down and got themselves into a classic duel.
Wirkin Estevez making his first start for Kansas City went 6 innings against Sioux City allowing 2 runs on 9 hits, striking out and walking only 1. Estevez would allow another run in the sixth as Sermo got on with a 2 out single. Baum followed Sermo with a single of his own. Both runners were able to pull off a double steal. On the throw to third to attempt to throw out Sermo the ball got away and ended up in left field and Sermo was able to score on the play, making it 2-0 X's.
Justin Vernia was equally as great as he went 6.1 innings for Sioux City allowing 2 runs, on 6 hits, walking and striking out just 1. Vernia last weeks pitcher of the week in the American Association was able to record his third straight quality start though he would take the no decision in this game.
In the seventh the T-Bones would come back to tie the game, Mason Davis would lead the inning off with an infield single followed by a Todd Cunningham walk. Colin Walsh hit a ground ball to short that looked like it would be another double play turned by Sioux City who turned four on the night but Samson bobbled it and the bases were loaded. Noah Perio then brought home two runs with a single to tie the game 2-2. Adrien Nieto would put down a sacrifice bunt and with runners at first and second for Kansas City that would do it for Vernia. Patrick Schuster was called out of the bullpen. Schuster was able to escape the jam by striking out Keith Curcio and getting Alay Lago to ground out to end the inning and keep the game tied 2-2.
Ryan Flores and Ryan Horstman would combine to throw a scoreless eighth and ninth. With Ryan Horstman making a diving play off the mound on a sacrifice bunt attempt that was popped up in the ninth.
Parker Markel would pitch two scoreless innings for the X's as he picked up the win 1-1. Markel would toss the tenth and eleventh innings giving up only one hit.
In the bottom of the eleventh, Durango would lead it off with a base hit, followed by Michael Lang reaching on a bunt single. Nate Samson would lay down a sacrifice bunt to move both runners up and the T-Bones would intentionally walk Jose Sermo. Jay Baum then stepped up and delivered a walk off single to left field on, Jay Baum t-shirt night at the ball park no less.
The Explorers with the win improve to 4-0 in extra inning games and 14-0 on Friday games. The Explorers with the win improve to 8.5 games over the T-Bones in the Southern Division standings with 22 games left to play.
The Explorers will look to gain the series win on Saturday when they take on the T-Bones for game three of the series with first pitch set for 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2018
- T-Bones with Comeback in Ninth to Beat X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose Playoff-Type Game, 4-2, to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Leave 13 on Base in 4-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Zhang Tao Leads Texas to 4-1 Win in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Hang on to Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Best Goldeyes in Rosemont - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Add Depth in Bullpen for Playoff Run, Sign Triple-A Righty Evan Mitchell - St. Paul Saints
- X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones' Fight to the Finish Comes up Short - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux City Explorers Stories
- Saints Sweep X's to Win American Association Championship
- X's Can't Deliver Clutch Hits in Home Finale, Pushed to Brink in Finals
- Saints Dominate Explorers to Open American Association Finals
- Explorers Are Finals Bound
- Sermo, Samson and Bullpen Team up to Take Game Three