Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts
CLEBURNE, Tex. - The Cleburne Railroaders scored five runs in the first two innings and traded blows with the Wichita Wingnuts from there, hanging on for a 9-5 win at The Depot at Cleburne Station.
Hunter Clanin got the scoring started with a two-out RBI single in the first for Cleburne (26-52), then the Railroaders extended the lead with four more runs in the second. Angel Rosa delivered an RBI single before Levi Scott skied a three-run homer to left for a 5-0 Cleburne advantage.
Wichita (48-30) got two runs back in the fourth on two wild pitches from Railroaders starter Josh Hodges, but Cleburne immediately had the answer in the bottom of the inning on a Rosa solo homer and another Clanin RBI single. Both teams scored again in the fifth, the Wingnuts on a two-run homer from Angel Reyes and the Railroaders on a Michael Gulino flare RBI single that made it 8-4 Cleburne.
Zach Nehrir dumped a two-out RBI single into right to make it 8-5 Railroaders in the sixth, but the Railroaders responded again on a solo home run from Cameron Monger in the bottom of the seventh.
Charlie Gillies (6-5) took the loss for Wichita, lasting just 3.1 innings while allowing eight hits and seven runs, though only three were earned.
The Wingnuts continue their series with the Railroaders on Sunday night. Righty Tyler Kane (5-2, 5.22) starts for Wichita, while Cleburne will counter with fellow righty Dylan Mouzakes (2-6, 5.12). First pitch from The Depot at Cleburne Station is scheduled for 6:06 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 11, 2018
- T-Bones with Comeback in Ninth to Beat X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Lose Playoff-Type Game, 4-2, to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Early Deficit Proves Too Steep for Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs Leave 13 on Base in 4-1 Loss - Lincoln Saltdogs
- T-Bones Rally Late in Sioux City - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Regain First Place Lead in North Division with 4-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Zhang Tao Leads Texas to 4-1 Win in Lincoln - Texas AirHogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Railroaders Hang on to Even Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Best Goldeyes in Rosemont - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Thompson Pitches Canaries to Fifth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Add Depth in Bullpen for Playoff Run, Sign Triple-A Righty Evan Mitchell - St. Paul Saints
- X's Win Instant Classic with Walk off in Extras - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones' Fight to the Finish Comes up Short - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.