Third Period Comeback Leads P-Bruins to 2-1 Win
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Friday night 2-1 to move into second place in the Eastern Conference. The P-Bruins got goals from Peter Cehlarik and Chris Breen while Zane McIntyre got the start in net.
Bridgeport struck first at 7:49 after creating chances throughout the first half of the opening period. At the top of the right circle, Andrew Rowe's pass found a waiting Devon Toews. His laser of a slap shot found its way through everybody and in for his fifth goal of the season. Bracken Kearns picked up the secondary assist as the Sound Tigers took a 1-0 lead into the first intermission.
The P-Bruins had their chances in what was a hard-hitting but scoreless second period, crashing the net and getting pressure on Eamon McAdam. That remained the score until 11:43 when Providence tied the game at 1-1. After a shot from the point was blocked by McAdam, he lost track of the puck in the crease. Mueller was waiting near the left post and cleaned up the mess in front for his 12th goal of the season as the Bruins tied the score at 1-1.
Providence took their first lead of the game at 15:55 on Breen's first goal of the season and maybe the team's biggest goal of the year. Jake DeBrusk took the puck in the right corner and sent a pass out Breen at the right point. Breen sent a one-timer through everyone for game winner and the 6,000th goal in franchise history as Providence won 2-1.
McIntyre stopped 24 of 25 shots while McAdam stopped 31 of 33. Providence was 0-2 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill. Providence completes the second half of their home-and-home with the Sound Tigers tomorrow in Bridgeport at 7pm.
- - - - - The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 20 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
For all the latest Providence Bruins news and updates visit ProvidenceBruins.com or follow the team on Facebook at facebook.com/providencebruins or Twitter at twitter.com/AHLBruins.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2017
- Lappin's Late Goal Pushes Devils to Victory - Albany Devils
- Comets Win Ninth Straight on Home Ice - Utica Comets
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 4, Springfield Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Recap: Bruins 2, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Stun Crunch in 4-3 Comeback Win - Binghamton Senators
- Third Period Comeback Leads P-Bruins to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- RECAP | Devils Shade IceCaps 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Fall to Senators, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Tucson's Craig Cunningham Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Ready for SoCal Showdown in San Diego Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Sound Tigers Wrap up Home Schedule this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Sign Michael Spacek - Manitoba Moose
- Sabres Assign Brendan Guhle to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Sign Defenceman Billingsley to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Penguins Sign Nick Sorkin to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hogs Open Road Trip with Loss at Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- Providence Bruins Tickets on Sale Now
- P-Bruins Release 2019-20 Schedule and Opening Weekend Hat Trick to Benefit the Tomorrow Fund
- P-Bruins Season Ends with Game Four Loss in Charlotte
- Checkers Shut Down P-Bruins Offense, Take 2-1 Series Lead
- P-Bruins Even Series with Checkers After 4-2 Win