Crunch Fall to Senators, 4-3, in Overtime
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators scored two goals in nine seconds late in the third period to force overtime and eventually defeat the Syracuse Crunch, 4-3, tonight at the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
The Senators opened scoring before Tye McGinn netted two goals, separated by a marker from Henri Ikonen, to take over the lead. The Crunch couldn't hang on and were only able to capture one point as they move to 34-24-7-7 on the season and 4-3-1-1 in the 10-game season series.
Mike McKenna made 22 saves in net for the Crunch, while Matt O'Connor earned the win turning aside 27-of-30. Syracuse went 1-for-4 on the power play and a perfect 4-for-4 on the penalty kill.
The Senators were first on the board halfway through the first period. After Mike Blunden picked off a turnover in the offensive zone he sent it to Jason Akeson in the slot. A quick feed to the right goal post allowed Phil Varone to score back door.
With 3:38 remaining in the opening frame, the Crunch evened the score. Tanner Richard held the puck behind the cage before finding McGinn at the goal line to snipe top corner from a sharp angle. Dylan Blujus earned a point with the secondary assist.
The Crunch stole the lead at the 14:57 mark of the second period. Ikonen got a stick on the puck down low and slid it past O'Connor five-hole. McGinn and Ben Thomas recorded the helpers.
McGinn netted his second of the night 9:22 into the final stanza to put the Crunch up, 3-1, while on the power play. Condra skated the puck into the zone before passing it back for McGinn to send home with a wrist shot from the slot.
Binghamton went on to score twice in nine seconds to tie the game and force overtime. With 4:15 remaining, Akeson lit the lamp from the right circle off assists from Varone and Chris Rumble followed quickly by Jack Rodewald slipping one in short side from the goal line.
Nick Paul potted the game-winner for the Senators 1:01 into the extra frame to down the Crunch.
Syracuse returns home to host the Albany Devils on Saturday at 7 p.m.
Syracuse Crunch single game and season tickets for the 2016-17 season are on sale now and can be purchased either in person at the Crunch office located in the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse or by calling the office at 315-473-4444. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch, #WeAreOne and #BLUnited.
Crunchables: Brett Howden made his Crunch debut tonight...Tye McGinn recorded his first multi-goal game of the season tonight and first since Dec. 29, 2015 against Hershey.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2017
- Lappin's Late Goal Pushes Devils to Victory - Albany Devils
- Comets Win Ninth Straight on Home Ice - Utica Comets
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 4, Springfield Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Recap: Bruins 2, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Stun Crunch in 4-3 Comeback Win - Binghamton Senators
- Third Period Comeback Leads P-Bruins to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- RECAP | Devils Shade IceCaps 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Fall to Senators, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Tucson's Craig Cunningham Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Ready for SoCal Showdown in San Diego Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Sound Tigers Wrap up Home Schedule this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Sign Michael Spacek - Manitoba Moose
- Sabres Assign Brendan Guhle to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Sign Defenceman Billingsley to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Penguins Sign Nick Sorkin to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hogs Open Road Trip with Loss at Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith