Lappin's Late Goal Pushes Devils to Victory
ALBANY, NY - Nick Lappin scored the game-winning, power-play goal with one minute remaining in regulation to give the Albany Devils a 4-3 win against the St. John's IceCaps in their final meeting of the season. The Devils picked up two big points and improves their overall record to 37-30-2-3. The IceCaps move to 33-29-8-2.
Shane Harper opened up the game's scoring at 10:12 of the first period with his eighth goal of the season and his first as a member of the Devils. Steven Santini received a pass from Seth Helgeson as he entered the offensive zone and connected with Harper for a tip-in in front of the net. The assist was Santini's first in 16 games as an Albany Devil after playing 37 games in the NHL.
Lappin netted a goal at 1:38 of the second period to give Albany a 2-0 lead. John Quenneville handled a rebounded Josh Jacobs slapshot and fed Lappin who had a wide open net for his twelfth goal of the year and fourth point in two games.
Brian Gibbons scored his 15th goal of the season on a give-and-go play with Blake Pietila at 1:53 of the second period to give the Devils a 3-0 lead.
Chris Terry and Zach Redmond scored two St. John's power-play goals at 11:49 and 17:54, respectively of the second period to cut the lead to 3-2. Defenseman Keegan Lowe tied the game at three at 5:26 of the third period with a slapshot from the point.
Mackenzie Blackwood stopped 22 of 25 shots registering his 15th win on the season. IceCaps goaltender, Yann Danis blocked 29 of 33 shots.
The Devils travel to Syracuse Saturday for a 7 pm matchup with the Crunch at the Onondaga County War Memorial at Oncenter.
- devils -
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2017
- Lappin's Late Goal Pushes Devils to Victory - Albany Devils
- Comets Win Ninth Straight on Home Ice - Utica Comets
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 4, Springfield Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Recap: Bruins 2, Sound Tigers 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Stun Crunch in 4-3 Comeback Win - Binghamton Senators
- Third Period Comeback Leads P-Bruins to 2-1 Win - Providence Bruins
- RECAP | Devils Shade IceCaps 4-3 - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Fall to Senators, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Tucson's Craig Cunningham Voted Winner of AHL's Fred T. Hunt Memorial Award - AHL
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Ready for SoCal Showdown in San Diego Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Sound Tigers Wrap up Home Schedule this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Sign Michael Spacek - Manitoba Moose
- Sabres Assign Brendan Guhle to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- IceCaps Sign Defenceman Billingsley to PTO - St. John's IceCaps
- Penguins Sign Nick Sorkin to PTO - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hogs Open Road Trip with Loss at Iowa - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.