That's A Walk Off: Hot Rods Come Back, Down Dragons 8-7
BOWLING GREEN, KY - In another thrilling contest, the Bowling Green Hot Rods defeated the Dayton Dragons tonight 8-7 in front of a sellout crowd of 4,723 at Bowling Green Ballpark.
The Dragons got things started with another first inning home run tonight, as 2B Jeter Downs left the ballpark with a solo shot, and it was 1-0 Dayton.
The lead swelled to 4-0 in the fourth when the Dragons used two doubles, a hit batter, and an error to score three runs, just one of them earned against Hot Rods' reliever RHP Andrew Gist.
Bowling Green got on the board in the bottom of the sixth. DH Zach Rutherford scored on an RBI single from CF Emilio Gustave, and it was a 4-1 Dayton lead.
In the seventh, the Hot Rods scored on a bases loaded walk to make it a 4-2 game.
That's when things got crazy.
In the top of the eighth, the Dragons got a two-run double from 1B Leandro Santana, making it a 6-2 game.
Bowling Green kept fighting, and used a four run inning to tie the game. LF Jim Haley hit a two-run double, scoring 2B Justin Bridgman and RF Moises Gomez. C Ronaldo Hernandez followed that with a two-run blast to right field, his 21st of the season, tying the game at 6-6.
In the top of the ninth, Dayton again scored the go-ahead run, like last night, taking a 7-6 lead. 3B Jonathan India hit a solo home run, his second of the series.
However, the Hot Rods came back in the bottom of the ninth. 3B Trey Hair led off the inning with a triple to the wall in right-center field. He scored on a double to left by 1B Alexander Alvarez. Jake Stone then came on as a pinch runner and advanced to third on a wild pitch. That set the stage for CF Emilio Gustave, who hit a sac fly to right-center, scoring Stone, and securing an 8-7 win for the Hot Rods.
LHP Resly Linares received a no-decision. He threw three innings, allowing two hits and a run, walking one and striking out five. RHP Matt Seelinger (1-0, 2.19) earned his first win as a member of the Hot Rods.
The final game of the regular season takes place tomorrow afternoon at 12:05pm. Dayton will send RHP Austin Orweiler (5-5, 3.72) to the hill, while Bowling Green will counter with RHP Alex Valverde (7-7, 4.82).
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2018
- That's A Walk Off: Hot Rods Come Back, Down Dragons 8-7 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Rally Late, Top Dragons 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Fall, Winner-Take-All Game Set for Monday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Win Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Capitalize on Late Kernels Miscues, Remain in Playoff Hunt - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Snaps Winning Streak with 9-4 Win over Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Swoop Past Cubs 5-3 in Game One - South Bend Cubs
- Delaplane fans 100th of the year in 4-3 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Gonzalez Collects Two Hits in Return from DL - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Earn 80th Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Eladio Strikes Again as Captains Top Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Vicente, Eladio Push Winning Streak to Four - Lake County Captains
- Unfamiliar Face Is the Hero - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits and Astros Extend Player Development Contract - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 at West Michigan (September 2) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Eladio's Walk-Off Bomb Caps Ridiculous Comeback - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.