Hot Rods Rally Late, Top Dragons 8-7
Bowling Green, Ky. - The Bowling Green Hot Rods scored six runs over the final two innings to overcome a 6-2 deficit and defeat the Dayton Dragons 8-7 on Sunday night. The game was the next-to-last contest of the 2018 season. The teams will meet at 1:05 p.m. on Monday to wrap up the Midwest League schedule.
After Bowling Green scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to tie the game at 6-6, Dayton's Jonathan India blasted a tie-breaking solo home run in the top of the ninth to give the Dragons a 7-6 lead. But the Hot Rods responded with two runs in the bottom of the ninth to win it, as Emilio Gustave's sacrifice fly brought in the winning run from third.
Dayton starting pitcher Packy Naughton worked five scoreless innings, allowing seven hits but no walks with eight strikeouts. Barring an unexpected occurrence, Naughton appears to have wrapped up the Midwest League strikeout crown. He has 137 strikeouts on the year. No pitcher within striking distance of Naughton's total is expected to pitch in the season finale on Monday.
The Dragons took an early lead when Jeter Downs belted a solo home run in the first inning, his 13th home of the year. In the fourth, the Dragons extended their lead to 4-0. Andy Sugilio doubled to start the inning and then scored all the way from second base on Leandro Santana's ground out to shortstop. Jose Garcia added a two-out, two-run double to bring in Reshard Munroe and Nate Scantlin.
Bowling Green scored one run in the sixth inning and then added another in the seventh to cut the Dayton lead to 4-2. Both runs came against Dragons reliever Cory Thompson.
The Dragons rebuilt their lead four runs in the eighth, getting a two-run double by Leandro Santana to make it 6-2. But Dragons reliever Dauri Moreta (3-2) struggled over his two innings on the mound, allowing six runs on six hits (five extra base hits) over one and one-third innings to take the loss.
The Dragons collected 11 hits in the game. India had his best game with the Dragons, going 3 for 5 with a home run. Downs had two hits including a home run. Andy Sugilio had two doubles and two runs scored. Hendrik Clementina had two hits.
Up Next: The Dragons (27-42, 58-79) meet the Hot Rods (42-27, 89-49) on Monday afternoon at 1:05 (EDT) in the last game of the season. Austin Orewiler (5-5, 3.72) will start for Dayton against Alex Valverde (7-7, 4.82).
Game Broadcast: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE and on the internet at wone.com. Games are also available on the Dayton Dragons mobile app.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2018
- That's A Walk Off: Hot Rods Come Back, Down Dragons 8-7 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Rally Late, Top Dragons 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Fall, Winner-Take-All Game Set for Monday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Win Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Capitalize on Late Kernels Miscues, Remain in Playoff Hunt - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Snaps Winning Streak with 9-4 Win over Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Swoop Past Cubs 5-3 in Game One - South Bend Cubs
- Delaplane fans 100th of the year in 4-3 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Gonzalez Collects Two Hits in Return from DL - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Earn 80th Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Eladio Strikes Again as Captains Top Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Vicente, Eladio Push Winning Streak to Four - Lake County Captains
- Unfamiliar Face Is the Hero - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits and Astros Extend Player Development Contract - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 at West Michigan (September 2) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Eladio's Walk-Off Bomb Caps Ridiculous Comeback - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Turn the Tables on the Loons, Take a 10-Inning Victory
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday
- Dragons Lose 10th Inning Lead, Fall to Loons 4-3
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday
- Dragons 5K Flash Deal & Orthopedic Associates Returning as Presenting Sponsor