Eladio Strikes Again as Captains Top Lugs
EASTLAKE, OH - Miguel Eladio followed a walk-off home run on Saturday night with three separate RBI singles on Sunday afternoon, and the Lake County Captains (30-38, 59-79) beat the Lansing Lugnuts (37-32, 80-59), 6-2, in the second game of a three-game series at Classic Park.
One game remains in the regular season, before the Lugnuts return home to face Michigan State in the Crosstown Showdown presented by Auto-Owners Insurance on Tuesday, and then the Bowling Green Hot Rods in the first round of the Midwest League postseason on Wednesday.
Second baseman Eladio lined RBI singles in the second, fourth and sixth innings for the Captains, who lost a 2-0 lead to a two-run Lugnuts fifth before retaking control of the game.
Todd Isaacs added an RBI single in the fifth inning and Jose Vicente hit a two-run home run in the seventh, his 17th homer of the year, to provide the winning margin.
Lansing starter Kyle Weatherly (Loss, 3-3) allowed four runs (three earned) on nine hits and one walk in six innings, striking out five Captains. Matt Shannon pitched the seventh and eighth innings, allowing Vicente's roundtripper.
Weatherly's opposite number, Juan Hillman (Win, 6-12), limited the Nuts to four hits, one walk and two runs (one earned) in five innings, striking out six.
In defeat, Chavez Young and Bryan Lizardo each went 2-for-4, with Young collecting his ninth triple of the season. Jesus Navarro added an RBI double and a walk in four plate appearances.
Most notably, Ryan Noda went 1-for-2 with two walks, his 108th and 109th walks of the season, leading all of Minor League and Major League Baseball.
Lansing right-hander Donnie Sellers (4.05 ERA) receives the start in the final game of the regular season, taking on Captains right-hander Gregori Vasquez (4.10) at 1:00 p.m. Monday.
The 12th annual Crosstown Showdown presented by Auto-Owners Insurance arrives on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m., with a pregame Home Run Derby and commemorative baseball caps to the first 2,000 fans! To purchase tickets and live the Lug Life at Cooley Law School Stadium, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2018
- That's A Walk Off: Hot Rods Come Back, Down Dragons 8-7 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Rally Late, Top Dragons 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Fall, Winner-Take-All Game Set for Monday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Win Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Capitalize on Late Kernels Miscues, Remain in Playoff Hunt - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Snaps Winning Streak with 9-4 Win over Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Swoop Past Cubs 5-3 in Game One - South Bend Cubs
- Delaplane fans 100th of the year in 4-3 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Gonzalez Collects Two Hits in Return from DL - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Earn 80th Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Eladio Strikes Again as Captains Top Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Vicente, Eladio Push Winning Streak to Four - Lake County Captains
- Unfamiliar Face Is the Hero - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits and Astros Extend Player Development Contract - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 at West Michigan (September 2) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Eladio's Walk-Off Bomb Caps Ridiculous Comeback - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.