Loons Swoop Past Cubs 5-3 in Game One
Midland, MI: In the second to last game in the 2018 Midwest League season, the South Bend Cubs looked to be on their way to a series opener win over the Great Lakes Loons, but in the bottom of the 7th, a bases clearing double hit by Matt Cogen altered the Cubs plans and the Loons closed the game with their 60th win by a final of 6-3.
Cubs starter Erling Moreno put himself in line for the victory with five strong innings of one run ball. By striking out five batters, Moreno closed his 2018 season on a positive note against the Loons from Dow Diamond. When Moreno exited, however, was when the trouble came along.
With a 3-1 lead heading to the bottom of the 7th, South Bend used a pair of doubles hit by Clayton Daniel and Chris Singleton to jump into the lead. After a scoreless 6th inning, Manuel Rodriguez headed back to the mound for his second frame and immediately ran into trouble.
On two walks and a single, Rodriguez loaded the bases full of Loons. When Cogen came to the plate, it was his Midwest League debut. Before the at-bat, Rodriguez was pulled in favor of Luis Aquino. On a sharp line drive hit to center field, Cogen crushed a double for his first hit as a Loon.
The line drive flew over the head of center fielder Jimmy Herron all the way to the wall. In an instant, it was a 4-3 Great Lakes lead. They plated one more run against Aquino in the inning and led 5-3 at the end of seven frames.
The Cubs had their own rally in the top of the 9th, loading the bases against closer Devin Hemmerich. Although the bases were juiced with two outs, Rafael Narea grounded out to the shortstop Deacon Liput. With the tying run in scoring position, South Bend ran out of outs and fell 5-3.
With the loss, the Cubs drop to 63-74 heading into the final game of the season tomorrow. First pitch from Midland is set for 2:05 PM tomorrow afternoon.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 2, 2018
- That's A Walk Off: Hot Rods Come Back, Down Dragons 8-7 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods Rally Late, Top Dragons 8-7 - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Fall, Winner-Take-All Game Set for Monday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Whitecaps Win Keeps Playoff Hopes Alive - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Snappers Capitalize on Late Kernels Miscues, Remain in Playoff Hunt - Beloit Snappers
- Beloit Snaps Winning Streak with 9-4 Win over Kernels - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons Swoop Past Cubs 5-3 in Game One - South Bend Cubs
- Delaplane fans 100th of the year in 4-3 win - Clinton LumberKings
- Gonzalez Collects Two Hits in Return from DL - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Earn 80th Win in Walk-Off Fashion - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Eladio Strikes Again as Captains Top Lugs - Lansing Lugnuts
- Vicente, Eladio Push Winning Streak to Four - Lake County Captains
- Unfamiliar Face Is the Hero - Great Lakes Loons
- River Bandits and Astros Extend Player Development Contract - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: September 2 at West Michigan (September 2) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Eladio's Walk-Off Bomb Caps Ridiculous Comeback - Lake County Captains
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Refunds for Pitbull Cancellation Available Starting Today at 1 p.m.
- Cubs Win Shootout Versus Hot Rods 11-10
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Fall to Hot Rods 2-1
- Remy, Patterson, and Roberts Combine to Whitewash Hot Rods 1-0
- Bowling Green Shuts out South Bend 2-0 to Open Series