Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC
TACOMA, WASH. - Tacoma Defiance (5-18-5, 20 points) on Tuesday dropped a 4-1 decision to Real Monarchs SLC (12-9-7, 43 points) at a rainy Cheney Stadium. Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez scored the lone goal for Tacoma on an assist from Nick Hinds. Tacoma finished the contest with nine men after Ever Rubio and Danny Leyva each received multiple yellow cards. Maikel Chang recorded a brace for Real Monarchs while Kyle Coffee and Cristian Calix each added a goal for the visitors.
In the 60th minute, Tacoma scored its lone goal of the evening to pull the club within a goal at 2-1. Defender Nick Hinds sent a ball into the area with his left foot that Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez one-touched into the back of the net for his third goal in 13 games this season. The assist was the second of the season for Hinds, who is now tied with Azriel Gonzalez for the team lead.
Coffee got Real Monarchs on the board first with a goal in the 32nd minute. He found a loose ball in the area and slotted it past Tacoma goalkeeper Bryan Meredith to give the visitors a 1-0 lead. In the 55th minute, Chang scored his first of the evening when he found a free ball off a corner kick and buried it to make it a 2-0 advantage. Chang netted his 11th goal of the season when he converted a penalty kick in the 73rd minute to push the lead to 3-1. The fourth goal of the evening for Real Monarchs came off a short corner kick before Calix blasted a shot from outside the area for the game's final marker.
Tacoma was reduced to 10 men just before halftime when Ever Rubio received his second yellow card in the 44th minute. In the 64th minute, Danny Leyva was shown his second yellow of the evening to reduce the home side to nine men.
Six players under the age of 20 saw action for Tacoma tonight, including two First Team players in Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez and Danny Leyva.
Defiance next travels to take on Portland Timbers 2 on Friday, September 20 (7:30 p.m. PT / ESPN+).The club then returns home to face Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday, September 28 (7:00 p.m. PT / ESPN+).
Tacoma Defiance I 1-4 I Real Monarchs SLC
Tuesday, September 17, 2019
Venue: Cheney Stadium I Tacoma, Washington
Referee: Mark Allatin
Assistants: Baboucarr Jallow, Christian Clerc
Fourth Official: Christopher Turner
SLC - Kyle Coffee 32'
SLC - Maikel Chang 55'
TAC - Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Nick Hinds 60')
SLC - Maikel Chang (penalty) 73'
SLC - Cristian Calix (Luis Arriaga) 89'
TAC - Danny Leyva (caution) 4'
TAC - Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (caution) 4'
TAC - Ever Rubio (caution) 44'
TAC - Ever Rubio (ejection) 44'
SLC - Sam Brown (caution) 58'
SLC - Konrad Plewa (caution) 63'
TAC - Danny Leyva (ejection) 64'
SLC - Jack Blake (caution) 81'
TAC - Aleks Berkolds (caution) 90'+2'
SLC - Noah Powder (caution) 90'+2'
LINEUPS & STATS
TAC - Bryan Meredith; Sota Kitahara, Aleks Berkolds, Ever Rubio, Nick Hinds; Alex Roldan (Jesse Daley 61'), Danny Leyva; Shandon Hopeau, Danny Robles (Josh Atencio HT), Ethan Dobbelaere (Justin Dhillon 71'); Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez
Substitutes not used: Trey Muse, Ray Serrano, Alex Villanueva, Handwalla Bwana
Total shots: 12
Shots on goal: 3
SLC - David Ochoa; James Moberg, Konrad Plewa, Kalen Ryden, Noah Powder; Sam Brown (Cristian Calix 85'), Jack Blake; Maikel Chang, Luis Arriaga, Luis Palma (Julien Vazquez 82'); Kyle Coffee (Damien German 89')
Substitutes not used: Evan Finney, Fertil Pierre, Juan Silva, Etoundi
Total shots: 24
Shots on goal: 11
Images from this story
Tacoma Defiance vs. Real Monarchs SLC
(Charis Wilson / Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2019
- Goals from Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Jack Metcalf lead Atlanta in win - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies - Ottawa Fury FC
- Atlanta Puts Three Past Battery in Difficult Road Loss - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Clinch 2019 USL Championship Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall to Controversial 1-0 Defeat to Ottawa - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth - Nashville SC
- Veteran Goalkeeper Matt Pickens Reaches 100 Career Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United - Reno 1868 FC
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC Delivers in the Clutch Once Again to Bag Crucial Win over Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Toby Keith Concert Tickets Going Fast - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 29 - USL
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs Tops Tacoma Defiance 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Legion FC Loses Heartbreaker in Final Seconds - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Finds More Magic against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Defiance Stories
- Trey Muse Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Tacoma Defiance Concludes Season with 3-1 Home Victory
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. Austin Bold FC - October 19, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Stretches Unbeaten Streak to Four in 1-1 Road Draw
- Tacoma Defiance Defender Denso Ulysse Undergoes Successful Surgery