Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview
2019 USL CHAMPIONSHIP: WEEK 29
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2019
FRESNO FC vs. RGVFC TOROS
7:30 P.M. PT KICKOFF
TV: THISTV 26.2 | RADIO: ESPN DEPORTES 1600 AM | STREAM: ESPN+
FRESNO FC MATCH NOTES | RGVFC TOROS MATCH NOTES | USL MATCH CENTER
Los Zorros take on the Toros of Rio Grande Valley FC in a midweek clash at Chukchansi Park. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. Fresno FC (14-5-8) will aim to bounceback from a 3-1 loss at Las Vegas Lights in Week 28 and take three points against a Toros side it has already beat once this season. Fresno won 2-0 in Week 2 of the regular season, and a win Wednesday will decrease the club's "magic number" to three points, with the possibility of cementing their place in the playoffs as soon as Saturday. However, to get there, they'll need to silence a Toros side that is eager to break a three-game losing streak. It'll be a tough test for RGVFC, who struggle on the road (1-9-4) and for its second road win of the season and first after three consecutive losses. RGV most recently gave a scare to Sacramento Republic FC, where the Toros grabbed an early 1-0 lead before falling 2-1 at Papa Murphy's Park on Sunday. The Toros feature two scorers at nine apiece in Michael Salazar and Carlos Small, with midfielder Isidro Martinez leading the distribution with club-best marks in assists (6) and chances created (58). Martinez also has been RGV's most reliable performer, appearing in 28 matches for 2,342 minutes played - the most among his teammates.
Fresno FC won the previous meeting, taking a 2-0 result on March 16, 2019 at H-E-B Park.
HE SAID IT
HEAD COACH ADAM SMITH
"This is a must-win game. We're going to be aggressive. We're going to come at them, and we're going to smother them. We're not going to allow them to breathe. We need to dominate this game. That's what I want to do. We want to let the fans know that we are the home team and we need them to get behind us now more than ever. This is a big week going in. The guys have done extremely well and we want to keep that home streak intact.
On the club's defensive record
"While we have a good defensive record, we haven't kept a clean sheet in 10 games. That's not good and that's something we must stop and I want the rock to stop tomorrow."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2019
- Goals from Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Jack Metcalf lead Atlanta in win - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies - Ottawa Fury FC
- Atlanta Puts Three Past Battery in Difficult Road Loss - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Clinch 2019 USL Championship Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall to Controversial 1-0 Defeat to Ottawa - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth - Nashville SC
- Veteran Goalkeeper Matt Pickens Reaches 100 Career Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United - Reno 1868 FC
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC Delivers in the Clutch Once Again to Bag Crucial Win over Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Toby Keith Concert Tickets Going Fast - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 29 - USL
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night - Philadelphia Union II
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs Tops Tacoma Defiance 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Legion FC Loses Heartbreaker in Final Seconds - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Finds More Magic against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview