Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night
CHESTER, Pa. - Bethlehem Steel FC (7-14-6, 13th place in East) put in a strong performance against Indy Eleven over the weekend, despite taking the 2-1 loss. The club is now set to host Loudoun United FC (6-14-6, 15th place in East) at Talen Energy Stadium tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET. It's also Kids Night at the stadium, so everybody 12 years old and under gets in for free and fan favorite Mark McKenzie, who has played for Steel in the past, will be on hand for photos and autographs beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET. McKenzie will be sending good vibes to many of the players he has fought alongside this season as they rev up for a tough test against Loudoun before a difficult trip to Tampa Bay over the weekend.
A strong run of form for Steel continued last weekend with a gritty performance against Indy Eleven on the road. The result didn't exactly go their way, with Indy taking the 2-1 win, but the hosts needed an 80th-minute winner from USL legend Dane Kelly to take the points. The chances were there and the Steel limited Indy's opportunities as much as possible, so Brendan Burke's side will look to continue performing at a high level and look to lock down Loudoun in the mid-week matchup.
The Steel and Loudoun drew 3-3 when they met at Audi Field this year. Burke's side took a 60th minute lead with a penalty-kick from Faris, but the hosts equalized in the last moment of the match. Faris is expected to rejoin the starting lineup Wednesday after serving a red-card suspension. With the Cameroonian forward up top, Steel fans can expect to see him stretch the Loudoun backline and use his strength to hold up play.
Philadelphia Union defender and Steel alumnus Mark McKenzie will be available for photos and autographs starting at 6:30 p.m. ET just inside the Premier Orthopaedics Gate as fans enter the stadium.
The Boys in Blue host Loudoun United FC at Talen Energy Stadium on Wednesday, September 18, at 7:30 p.m. ET. Tickets are available here, with the match set to be broadcast on ESPN+.
2019 USL Championship Regular Season
Date: September 18, 2019
Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. ET
Location: Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, Pa.
Referee: Daniel Gutierrez
Assistant Referees: Patrick Casey; Justen Lopez
Fourth Official: Joseph Franks
Bethlehem Steel FC: 7-14-6, 13th place
Indy Eleven: 6-14-6, 15th place
Match Day Twitter: @BSteelFC
Game Day Hashtag: #BSTvLDN
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2019
- Goals from Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Jack Metcalf lead Atlanta in win - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies - Ottawa Fury FC
- Atlanta Puts Three Past Battery in Difficult Road Loss - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Clinch 2019 USL Championship Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall to Controversial 1-0 Defeat to Ottawa - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth - Nashville SC
- Veteran Goalkeeper Matt Pickens Reaches 100 Career Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United - Reno 1868 FC
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC Delivers in the Clutch Once Again to Bag Crucial Win over Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Toby Keith Concert Tickets Going Fast - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 29 - USL
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs Tops Tacoma Defiance 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Legion FC Loses Heartbreaker in Final Seconds - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Finds More Magic against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Charleston Battery
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Ottawa Fury FC
- Selmir Miscic breaks the record as the youngest goalscorer for Steel FC in loss