Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United
RENO, Nev. - Reno 1868 FC travels to Albuquerque, N.M. for a Friday tilt with New Mexico United. Both clubs are currently in playoff position, with Reno holding onto the second seed in the USL's Western Conference. New Mexico sits eighth, three points ahead of the playoff cut line.
Reno is coming off of back-to-back wins over Tacoma Defiance and Austin Bold FC. Los azules posted a goal differential of +6 in the two matches. New Mexico is riding a two-match win streak as well, defeating OKC and Colorado Springs each by 3-1 scores.
These two clubs met in April, when Reno won 2-1 at Greater Nevada Field. Sergio Rivas and Duke Lacroix scored to move Reno to 3-1-3 on the season.
Two 1868 FC forwards enter the match close to club, and personal, history. Danny Musovski's seven goals since the start of September are the second most in club history for a single month, trailing Dane Kelly's eight from May of 2017. Musovski's 10 goals on the season are fifth-most all time in club history, and trail Antoine Hoppenot by just two for fourth. Hoppenot scored 12 goals in 2017. Finally, Musovski's 15 career goals with 1868 are fourth-most all time and again trail Hoppenot by just two. Hoppenot's 17 goals from 2017-2018 rank third.
Right behind Musovski on the club all-time list is Corey Hertzog. Hertzog's 14 goals this season, his first with 1868, have him third on the single-season all-time list. Hertzog trails Brian Brown by two goals, Brown scored 16 last season to move into second behind Dane Kelly's club-record 18 in 2017. Hertzog is also tied for fifth all-time for career goals, despite being in his first year with the club.
Friday night will be the first opportunity for Reno to clinch a playoff spot, but the boys in blue will need help. In order to secure their third trip to the USL Championship Playoffs, los azules will need to defeat New Mexico and see two of Austin, San Antonio or Portland lose or draw. San Antonio travels to LA to take on Galaxy II at 7:30 on Friday, and Portland has Tacoma Defiance in Portland at the same time. Austin takes on Las Vegas on Sunday at 4:00 p.m. PT.
Reno could become the sixth club in USL history to make the playoffs in each of its first three seasons. Reno was the three seed in the west in 2017 and the fifth seed in 2018.
Kickoff from Albuquerque is set for 6:30 p.m. PT, and the match will be streamed on ESPN+. Reno 1868 FC will be hosting the second Mega Watch Party of the season at Mellow Fellow, across from Greater Nevada Field. Fans in attendance can win signed 1868 memorabilia and cheer on the team together.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2019
- Goals from Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Jack Metcalf lead Atlanta in win - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies - Ottawa Fury FC
- Atlanta Puts Three Past Battery in Difficult Road Loss - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Clinch 2019 USL Championship Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall to Controversial 1-0 Defeat to Ottawa - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth - Nashville SC
- Veteran Goalkeeper Matt Pickens Reaches 100 Career Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United - Reno 1868 FC
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC Delivers in the Clutch Once Again to Bag Crucial Win over Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Toby Keith Concert Tickets Going Fast - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 29 - USL
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night - Philadelphia Union II
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs Tops Tacoma Defiance 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Legion FC Loses Heartbreaker in Final Seconds - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Finds More Magic against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.