Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth
NASHVILLE - The Boys in Gold are back in the postseason.
With Charleston Battery's loss on Wednesday night, Nashville SC has clinched a berth in the 2019 USL Championship Playoffs. It will be Nashville's second consecutive postseason appearance after earning the eighth seed in the 2018 USL Cup Playoffs in the club's inaugural season.
"It's fantastic to clinch with five games still to go," said Nashville SC Head Coach Gary Smith. "Our focus, however, has always been and will continue to be the Eastern Conference title which is still in our sight."
Under a new format for 2019, the top 10 teams in each conference qualify for the USL Championship Playoffs. The opening matchups will see the 7th seed take on the 10th seed and the 8th seed take on the 9th seed in a play-in round. The higher advancing seed from the play-in round will face the 2nd seed, while the lower advancing seed will face the 1st seed in the Conference Quarterfinals. From there, the playoffs will proceed in a fixed single elimination bracket with the winners of each conference squaring off in the USL Championship Final.
In this format, the higher seed in each matchup will be the host team, so the top four teams in each conference are guaranteed to host at least one playoff match.
Currently, Nashville SC sits in third place in the Eastern Conference, and Saturday night's clash against Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC could have a tremendous impact on Nashville's chances of hosting a playoff match.
Tickets are available for Saturday's match, presented by AMI, at First Tennessee Park for just $11. Click here for more information on tickets and other fan-friendly deals.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2019
- Goals from Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Jack Metcalf lead Atlanta in win - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies - Ottawa Fury FC
- Atlanta Puts Three Past Battery in Difficult Road Loss - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Clinch 2019 USL Championship Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall to Controversial 1-0 Defeat to Ottawa - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth - Nashville SC
- Veteran Goalkeeper Matt Pickens Reaches 100 Career Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United - Reno 1868 FC
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC Delivers in the Clutch Once Again to Bag Crucial Win over Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Toby Keith Concert Tickets Going Fast - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 29 - USL
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs Tops Tacoma Defiance 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Legion FC Loses Heartbreaker in Final Seconds - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Finds More Magic against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Locks in No. 2 Seed in Eastern Conference
- Pickens Wins Golden Glove and Sits Atop USL Championship with 14 Clean Sheets
- Nashville Moves into First Place with Win in Final Regular Season Match
- How to Follow: Nashville SC vs. Atlanta United 2
- Nashville SC Looking to Continue Strong Run in Playoff Tune-Up vs. Atlanta United 2