Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies
OTTAWA - Ottawa Fury FC gave the Tampa Bay Rowdies all they could handle on Wednesday and it paid off in the dying minutes.
With the game scoreless heading into second-half stoppage time, Fury was awarded a penalty kick and striker Wal Fall made no mistake in slide the ball low left on the Tampa keeper to score the games only goal.
It was an exciting finish to the game but most importantly the win gives Fury FC a huge three points at home as the season comes down to the stretch drive.
Fury returns to action at home on Sunday afternoon when they host Hartford Athletic at TD Place at 2 p.m.
Fury Captain Carl Haworth just missed scoring another highlight reel goal off a free kick in the second half, sending his shot from just outside the 18-yard box slightly wide of the target.
There are only three home games remaining for Fury FC in the USL Championship regular season.
15-year-old local product Antoine Coupland dressed for Fury and was available as a substitute for the match.
The win snaps a four-game losing streak for Fury FC against one of the Eastern Conference's top sides.
Head Coach Nikola Popovic
"We knew what was going to happen. we had a difficult succession of games when you play Pittsburgh, Indy and Tampa but the players fight every single game with their hearts for this club and give their best every single game. It was an even game but I think we were better the whole game. We have to be very proud of these players, it's not easy coming off a (long) road trip."
Forward Wal Fall
"If we bring this energy like we did today, I think it will be hard to stop us. We never stop believe. We lost four games in a row but we never doubted ourselves. We needed the three points, so we're very happy to get it at the end."
Ottawa Fury FC (4-3-3): Irving; Dixon (Oliveira, 66'), Meilleur-Giguere, Boskovic, Obasi (Tissot, 52'); Gagnon-Laparé, Ward, Thiago (Mannella, 68); Haworth (C), Barry, Fall.
Hartford Athletic (3-5-2): McCarthy; Morad, Diakite, Kone (Fernandes, 80'); Richards, Oduro, Steinberger, Poku, Taku (Tijada, 62'); Siaj, Mkosana (Johnson, 74')
90+ - Fall (PK)
56' - TB Diakite
57' - OTT Fall
62' - OTT Gagnon-Lapare
90' - OTT Fall
90+4 - OTT Haworth
90+ - OTT Fall
Next match: Sunday, September 22 vs. Hartford Athletic - Kickoff 2:00 p.m. ET
Next home match: Sunday, September 22 vs. Hartford Athletic - Kickoff 2:00 p.m. ET
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2019
- Goals from Luiz Fernando, Andrew Carleton and Jack Metcalf lead Atlanta in win - Atlanta United 2
- Fury FC Scores Late to Win Thriller over Rowdies - Ottawa Fury FC
- Atlanta Puts Three Past Battery in Difficult Road Loss - Charleston Battery
- Rowdies Clinch 2019 USL Championship Playoff Berth - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Fresno FC vs. Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Preview - Fresno FC
- Rowdies Fall to Controversial 1-0 Defeat to Ottawa - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Nashville SC Clinches USL Championship Playoff Berth - Nashville SC
- Veteran Goalkeeper Matt Pickens Reaches 100 Career Clean Sheets - Nashville SC
- Reno 1868 FC Set for Road Matchup with New Mexico United - Reno 1868 FC
- From Historic Goal to Life Goal: Orozco Back Playing at Home - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC Delivers in the Clutch Once Again to Bag Crucial Win over Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Toby Keith Concert Tickets Going Fast - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- USL Championship Discipline Report - Week 29 - USL
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Prepares to Host Loudoun United FC on Kids Night - Philadelphia Union II
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Home Match to Real Monarchs SLC - Tacoma Defiance
- Real Monarchs Tops Tacoma Defiance 4-1 - Real Monarchs SLC
- Legion FC Loses Heartbreaker in Final Seconds - Birmingham Legion FC
- Nashville SC Finds More Magic against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.