Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
FRESNO, Calif. - A total of 7,742 fans - the third-largest crowd in club history - gathered at Chukchansi Park for Fresno FC's Stand Up Against Cancer, as the Foxes played to a 2-2 draw against LA Galaxy II on Saturday. Fresno FC (16-8-9) ended its three-game skid with the draw and will finish its fight for the Western Conference's No. 2-seed at Orange County SC next Saturday, Oct. 19th.
Fresno FC currently sits in third place as Reno 1868 FC (17-10-6) won 2-0 at Las Vegas to move level in points on the table.
Los Zorros pressured early, as Devann Yao had a clear shot at goal two minutes in, but his attempt was stopped by LA's Justin Vom Steeg. Ten minutes later, Yao was subbed off with an apparent injury for midfielder Diego Casillas.
Casillas immediately made an impact off the bench, scoring the opening goal at the 22nd minute. The Valley native dipped his head and connected on a cross from Elijah Martin and placed the goal far-post for a 1-0 lead. Casillas nearly doubled the lead three minutes later, only to see his shot saved by Vom Steeg.
Los Dos (11-10-12) leveled the scoring at the 32nd minute as Emil Cuello pounced on a rebound from CJ Cochran's block of Kai Koreniuk's shot just moments earlier.
Fresno had a chance to regain the lead just before halftime, however, Juan Pablo Caffa's low shot to the right corner was pushed away. Tensions rose as both teams tried to break the deadlock as yellow cards were issued to Fresno's Emir Alihodzic and Hiroki Kurimoto, and LA's Kai Koreniuk.
At the 84th minute, Fresno received an opportunity to take the lead as forward Qudus Lawal was fouled inside the box for a penalty. Caffa converted from the spot to give Fresno its second lead of the night. Visibly upset with the penalty call, LA head coach Junior Gonzalez was sent off by center referee JJ Bilinski.
Los Dos, ultimately had the final say, scoring a stoppage-time equalizer from Mohammed Kamara at the 94th minute as both sides split points.
Fresno will return to Chukchansi Park at least one more time in 2019, hosting the first round of the Western Conference playoffs on Saturday, Oct. 26th at 7:30 p.m. Los Zorros' opponent is yet to be determined.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: DIEGO CASILLAS, M
Casillas came off the bench to open the scoring at the 22nd minute and finished the night with two shots, two key passes, two tackles, and three crosses.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2019
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Defeat the Charleston Battery 2-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Fight Back for Three Points on the Road - Orange County SC
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night - Fresno FC
- Record-Breaking Crowd Watches Silver State Cup Match at Cashman - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Secures Silver State Cup and Home Playoff Match - Reno 1868 FC
- Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals Give Tacoma Defiance 2-0 Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road Behind Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview