Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game
Sacramento, Calif. - Playoff-bound Republic FC lost to Orange County SC 3-2 Saturday night at Papa Murphy's Park but despite the loss, the club can still potentially host at least one more match at home this season.
Following the result, the Indomitable Club currently sits in sixth place with 48 points from 33 games played. If the season were to end today, the sixth place team would have to travel to the club in possession of third place, which is currently Fresno. But with one match remaining, SRFC could end up as high as fifth place or as low as ninth. Either way, the boys in Old Glory Red are still headed to the postseason.
Simon Elliott's men took the early lead in the sixth minute when Thomas Enevoldsen weaved a perfect through ball to Cameron Iwasa in space. The Sacramento native collected himself and danced around the goalkeeper before firing his shot into an empty net to give Republic FC the 1-0 advantage.
Orange County equalized ten minutes later when forward Darwin Jones bagged his 12th goal of the season. Goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth made a terrific diving save to prevent a Walker Hume header from finding the back of the net but the save fell straight to Jones who tapped his first touch home.
The visitors doubled their lead in the 26th minute when a Vinicius header off a Michael Orozco cross gave OCFC the 2-1 advantage. Orozco blindly rifled the ball over his shoulder and into the middle of the box. Vinicius was in the right place at the right time and nodded his shot into the far corner.
But the boys in Old Glory Red weren't finished yet. Midfielder Sam Werner tried a one-timer from just inside the box which bounced its way towards goal before Enevoldsen attempted to get a touch on it. The dummy touch threw off the visiting goalkeeper and allowed the ball to slip through his grasp. Iwasa, barreling into the box, slammed his shot from point blank into the back of the net to tie the match, 2-2. The goal was Iwasa's 16th strike in league play this season.
Republic FC thought they took the lead off a free kick with about a quarter hour left to play before the referee called the goal back for offside.
Moments later, it was the visitors who captured the lead off a corner kick. The corner met Aodhan Quinn in the middle of the box whose header fell directly to Orozco in front of net. The forward's shot from close range was ultimately the difference in the match.
Before the boys in Old Glory Red begin their 2019 USL playoff campaign, one final regular season game awaits them in Utah against Real Monarchs on Saturday, October 19.
Sacramento Republic FC 2-3 Orange County SC
USL Championship Match
Papa Murphy's Park, Sacramento, California
October 12, 2019 - Attendance: 11,569
Scoring Summary: SAC - Cameron Iwasa (Thomas Enevoldsen) 6, Iwasa 64; OC - Darwin Jones 16, Vinicius (Michael Orozco) 26, Michael Orozco (Aodhan Quinn) 78.
Misconduct Summary: SAC - Jordan McCrary (caution) 17, Drew Skundrich (caution) 91, Mitchell Taintor (dissent) 94; OC - Kevin Alston (caution) 20, Harry Forrester (caution) 43, Vinicius (caution) 56, Frederik Due (dissent) 91, Aodhan Quinn (dissent) 94.
Sacramento Republic FC - Bobby Shuttleworth; Jordan McCrary, Dekel Keinan (Matt Mahoney 55), Mitchell Taintor, Charalampos Chantzopoulos; Jaime Villarreal, Keven Aleman (Dariusz Formella 83), Sam Werner (Villyan Bijev 66), Drew Skundrich; Thomas Enevoldsen, Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Hayden Partain, Ray Saari, Stefano Bonomo.
Stats - Shots: 12, Shots on Goal: 5, Saves: 3, Fouls: 13, Corner Kicks: 2, Offsides: 3.
Orange County SC - Frederik Due; Kevin Alston, Walker Hume, Joseph Amico, Michael Orozco; Aodhan Quinn, Daniel Crisostomo, Harry Forrester; Jerry van Wolfgang (Christian Duke 81), Vinicius (Kevin Coleman 74), Darwin Jones (Giovanni Ramos Godoy 60).
Subs Not Used: Aaron Cervantes, Leonardo, Owusu-Ansah Kontor, Bryang Kayo.
Stats - Shots: 13, Shots on Goal: 6, Saves: 3, Fouls: 13, Corner Kicks: 8, Offsides: 0.
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC forward Cameron Iwasa
Sacramento Republic FC vs. Orange County SC
Sacramento Republic FC forward Villyan Bijev vs. Orange County SC
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2019
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Defeat the Charleston Battery 2-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Fight Back for Three Points on the Road - Orange County SC
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night - Fresno FC
- Record-Breaking Crowd Watches Silver State Cup Match at Cashman - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Secures Silver State Cup and Home Playoff Match - Reno 1868 FC
- Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals Give Tacoma Defiance 2-0 Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road Behind Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- SuperDraft Selections Have SRFC History
- Republic FC Sign Midfielder Tucker Bone
- Boards for Change, Republic FC Prepare Black History Month Auction to Benefit Community Organizations
- By the Numbers: Tomas Gomez
- Republic FC Bolsters Technical Staff with Addition of Matt Glaeser