Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1
PHOENIX (October 12th, 2019) - Phoenix Rising fell to Western Conference foe Real Monarchs 2-1 in front of a sellout crowd of 6,863. It was the club's 19th consecutive sellout at Casino Arizona Field.
WHAT TO KNOW
Phoenix Rising extended its Casino Arizona sellout streak to 19 matches.
Forward Ben Spencer scored his third goal in two matches.
Following a scoreless first half, Real Monarchs broke through for the first tally of the match off a Maikel Chang penalty in the 74th minute.
Rising FC equalized in the 82nd minute. Defender Mustapha Dumbuya took the ball from just past the half field line and dribbled down the center of the pitch before fading to hir right to get away from his defender. He sent a curling cross into the box as he fell away and found Adam Jahn, who headed the ball back toward the far left post. Forward Ben Spencer was there to head the ball into the back of the net.
Just before the end of regulation, both clubs went down a man when Rising FC's Corey Whelan and Real Monarchs' Konrad Plewa each received red cards. The Monarchs put the match away in the third minute of stoppage time. Kyle Coffee took advantage of a Phoenix Rising defensive miscue in the box and scored the game winner.
Phoenix Rising finishes the 2019 regular season next Friday, October 18th, against OKC Energy FC. It will be the final regular-season $1 Beer Night of 2019 and the first 2,500 fans who arrive will receive black and copper Phoenix Rising socks courtesy of Arizona Federal. Gates open at 6:00 p.m. and fans can purchase tickets at PHXRisingFC.com.
PHOENIX RISING FC 1-2 REAL MONARCHS SLC
SLC: 74', 44-Maikel Chang (penalty)
PHX: 82', 22-Ben Spencer (9-Adam Jahn)
SLC: 90+3', 57-Kyle Coffee
SLC: 31', 63-Steve Jasso (caution)
PHX: 41', 41-James Musa (caution)
PHX: 73', 20-Solomon Asante (caution)
PHX: 86', 13-Amadou Dia (caution)
SLC: 89', 56-Konrad Plewa (ejection)
PHX: 89', 4-Corey Whelan (ejection)
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran (81', 22-Ben Spencer), 8-Corey Whelan, 24-Mustahpah Dumbuya; 41-James Musa, 19-Jose Aguinaga (90', 15-Joey Farrell), 10-Jon Bakero (71', 14-Jason Johnson); 21-Joey Calistri, 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 2-Doueugui Mala, 16-Austin Ledbetter, 32-Kyle Bjornethun
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2019
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Defeat the Charleston Battery 2-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Fight Back for Three Points on the Road - Orange County SC
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night - Fresno FC
- Record-Breaking Crowd Watches Silver State Cup Match at Cashman - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Secures Silver State Cup and Home Playoff Match - Reno 1868 FC
- Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals Give Tacoma Defiance 2-0 Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road Behind Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Rising Advances to USL Championship Final with 4-2 Win in Penalties
- Western Conference Final Tonight vs. El Paso
- Phoenix Rising Game Notes
- Rick Schantz Resumes as Phoenix Rising FC Head Coach
- Rising Advance to Western Conference Finals with 5-4 Win in Penalties