Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner
SCOTTSDALE, AZ. - Real Monarchs SLC (15-10-7, 52 points) earned a statement 2-1 victory over Phoenix Rising FC on Saturday night, staking it's claim on 4th place in the Western Conference.
MF Maikel Chang converted a penalty for his 13th goal of the season in the 74th minute before FW Kyle Coffee headed home a stoppage time winner 93rd minute to secure the win. Meanwhile, GK Andrew Putna made five saves to limit the hosts on the night.
Real Monarchs started the first half strong and in the 8th minute FW Luis Arriaga took a chance that bounced off a Phoenix defender but found the frame of goal. The Monarchs kept the pressure on and in the 15th minute, Coffee rifled a shot that looked destined for the bottom corner, testing Zac Lubin into a full-stretch diving save. On the other side, the Monarchs packed in defensively and did well to shut down the league-leading Rising FC offense. DF Erik Holt was able to get in the way of multiple shots from Joey Calistri and Solomon Asante while Putna made a massive save, putting a stop to a sharp shot from distance in the 38th minute to help keep the score level at the break.
The contest slowed after the whistle kicked off the second half, but it would be Real Monarchs who struck first after FW Julian Vazquez was brought down in the penalty area and Chang stepped up to beat Lubin for the opening goal in the 74th minute. Rising FC quickly answered back as Ben Spencer was able to find the back of the net with a flicked header at the back post in the 82nd minute. The contest heated up quickly and both sides were shown a red card, but the 10-man Real Monarchs prevailed with a stoppage time header from Coffee to claim the win and the inaugural Four-Corners Cup.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC returns home to play its third match in seven days as it hosts Austin Bold FC. The mid-week match is scheduled for Wednesday, October 16, with an evening kickoff of 7:00 p.m. MT from Zions Bank Stadium.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
SLC: Maikel Chang (PK), 74th minute: Julian Vazquez got into a dangerous position within six yards of the goal, where a Phoenix Rising defender brought him down, inciting center referee Malik Badawi to point to the spot. Chang stepped up and sent the shot low where Zac Lubin came close to getting a touch, but the ball found the net.
PHX: Ben Spencer, 83rd minute: Phoenix Rising FC found the equalizer as Mustapha Dumbuya floated a ball in the air to the back post where Spencer was able to get a head to it behind Andrew Putna to find the back of the net.
SLC: Kyle Coffee, 93rd minute: In stoppage time, Real Monarchs earned a freekick near the sideline but at a dangerous distance from goal. Jack Blake sent the ball into the middle where Lubin bobbled the ball in the air leaving the net open for Coffee to capitalize with a header to steal the win.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
SLC: Andrew Putna, 38th minute: From distance, Phoenix Rising FC forward Solomon Asante fired a rocket that looked to dip just under the crossbar but Putna made a spectacular jump to make the save and keep things level.
SLC: Andrew Putna, 69th minute: As Phoenix Rising FC's attack mounted, another shot from distance went searching for the low corner, but Putna had the answers with diving save to protect the net.
- Midfielder Ricardo Avila (ankle) and Defender James Moberg (hamstring) out of action due to injury.
- Real Monarchs SLC provided Phoenix Rising FC with its first loss at home in the 2019 season, courtesy of Kyle Coffee's late game winner.
- The Monarchs hold onto its fourth place position with a pivotal three points on the road, one point ahead of Orange County SC after its win over Sacramento Republic FC on Saturday.
- The victory over Phoenix Rising FC secures Real Monarchs SLC the Four-Corners Cup in its inaugural season as the Monarchs finish with 12 points in the tournament, a single point over New Mexico United.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC at Phoenix Rising FC
Date: October 12, 2019
Venue: Zions Bank Stadium
Weather: 75 and clear skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 2 2
Phoenix Rising FC 0 1 1
SLC - Maikel Chang (PK), 74'
PHX - Ben Spencer, 83'
SLC - Kyle Coffee, 93'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Erik Holt, Tate Schmitt, Steve Jasso (Kalen Ryden, 67'), Konrad Plewa, Julian Vazquez (Jack Blake, 83'), Jordan Pena, Luis Palma (Maikel Chang, 72'), Sam Brown, Luis Arriaga, Kyle Coffee
Subs not used: Damian German, Cristian Calix, Lionel Etoundi, Evan Finney
Phoenix Rising FC (4-3-3): Zac Lubin, Corey Whelan, Mustapha Dumbuya, Amadou Dia, A.J. Cochran (Ben Spencer, 81'), Jon Bakero (Jason Johnson, 71'), José Aguinaga (Joseph Farrell, 91'), James Musa, Adam Jahn, Solomon Asante, Joey Calistri
Subs not used: Doueugui Mala, Austin Ledbetter, Kyle Bjornethun, Carl Woszczynski
Stats Summary: SLC/PHX
Shots: 11 / 24
Shots on Goal: 7 / 6
Saves: 5 / 5
Corner Kicks: 5 / 8
Fouls: 9 / 7
Offside: 3 / 2
SLC - Steve Jasso (Caution), 31'
PHX - James Musa (Caution), 54'
PHX - Solomon Asante (Caution) 73'
PHX - Amadou Dia (Caution) 86'
SLC - Konrad Plewa (Ejection) 89'
PHX - Corey Whelan (Ejection) 89'
Referee: Malik Badawi
Assistant Referees: Nicholas Gastelum, Bennett Savage
4th Official: Paul Nothman
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2019
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Defeat the Charleston Battery 2-1 on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Fight Back for Three Points on the Road - Orange County SC
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night - Fresno FC
- Record-Breaking Crowd Watches Silver State Cup Match at Cashman - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Secures Silver State Cup and Home Playoff Match - Reno 1868 FC
- Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals Give Tacoma Defiance 2-0 Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road Behind Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Signs Colombian Brayan Gomez
- Real Monarchs Adds New Zealand Defender Kyle Adams
- Real Monarchs Add New Zealand Forward Max Mata
- Real Monarchs Signs U-20 Colombian International Kevin Saucedo
- Real Monarchs Adds FC Barcelona and Chelsea Product Josimar Quintero