RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy
OKLAHOMA CITY - Rio Grande Valley FC (10-15-8, 38 pts.) defeat OKC Energy FC (9-13-11, 38 pts.) on Sunday night at Taft Stadium, 0-2. Carlos Small scored his 11th goal of the season and defender, Conor Donovan, scored his first goal of the 2019 season.
In the first half, both teams had a couple of chances at goal but ended the half with a 0-0 draw. The first dangerous attempt was made by Small when he shot a left-footed shot from outside the box but was saved in the center of the goal in the 4th minute.
OKC had several attempts back-to-back but wasn't able to put it in back of the net. In the 31st minute, Cody Laurendi sent a shot from outside the box but was sent up the crossbar.
In the 44th minute, Deshane Beckford sent a shot from outside the box but was saved by goalkeeper Laurendi. OKC did not want to go into the half with no goal. During stoppage time, Callum Ross sent a right-footed shot from outside the box but hit the left post.
Kevin Rodriguez managed to send a right-footed shot from outside the box but the Energy's defending line, cleared the shot in the 53rd minute. RGV FC goalkeeper, Ben Willis, made a huge save when Cordell Cato won a deflected shot by the Toros. Cato sent it from the center of the box to the right bottom corner where Willis was able to save it with his left foot.
In the 70th minute, Isidro Martinez sent a cross into the box following a corner kick. Donovan then flicked a header to the right side of the goal past the keeper, 0-1.
OKC conceded a penalty in the 77th minute where Small then converted the penalty sending it to the bottom left corner in the 78th minute, 0-2. Both OKC and RGV FC picked up momentum.
Willis was tested once again when Ross attempted to flick the ball in but missed to the right side of the goal in the 89th minute. Rodriguez had one last dangerous attempt in the 90th minute when he sent a shot from outside the box but was blocked.
Juan Carlos Obregon Jr. had one last attempt for the Toros when he shot from the center of the box going through OKC defending line but Laurendi saved the third goal.
Overall, RGV FC totaled 12 shots, six on target with an 81.8 percent in passing accuracy. OKC Energy FC totaled 14 shots, three on target and an 84 percent in passing accuracy.
Willis ended the night with three saves and one clearance. Kyle Adams led the squad with four clearances, six interceptions, three tackles and one block. Donovan also totaled four clearances and added one tackle.
Small led the attacking side with four total shots, two on target and four key passes. Beckford totaled two shots and two on target.
RGV FC returns to H-E-B Park on Friday, October 18 as they face off the Portland Timbers 2 to conclude the 2019 USL Championship season. Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. CT.
The match will be available on ESPN+ and updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
Scoring Summary: RGV FC - Donovan 70' (Assisted by Martinez), Small 78' (PK).
Misconduct Summary: RGV FC -
OKC - Laurendi, Brown, Duvall, Ibeagha, Harris, Cato (McGrath 79'), Eissle, Gordon, Garcia (Gebhard 63'), Ross, D. Brown.
Subs: Gunderson, Byars.
Stats: Shots: 14 Shots on Goal: 3 Saves: 4 Fouls: 7 Corner Kicks: 4 Offsides: 1.
RGV FC - Willis, Samuels, Adams, Donovan, Coronado, Beckford (Obregon Jr. 73'), Rodriguez, Bird (Cabrera 89'), Martinez, Salazar (Castellanos 85'), Small.
Subs: Garza, Chavero, Junqua, Jackson.
Stats: Shots: 12 Shots on Goal: 6 Saves: 3 Fouls: 9 Corner Kicks: 4 Offsides: 0.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 13, 2019
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun - Charleston Battery
- Loudoun United Defeat the Charleston Battery 2-1 on the Road - Loudoun United
- Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game - Sacramento Republic FC
- Orange County Fight Back for Three Points on the Road - Orange County SC
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night - Fresno FC
- Record-Breaking Crowd Watches Silver State Cup Match at Cashman - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Secures Silver State Cup and Home Playoff Match - Reno 1868 FC
- Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals Give Tacoma Defiance 2-0 Victory - Tacoma Defiance
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner - Real Monarchs SLC
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road Behind Two Second-Half Stoppage Time Goals - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- H-E-B Park to Host Group B Play at 2020 CONCACAF Women's Olympic Qualifying
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Season with 2-1 Win over Timbers 2
- RGV FC Hosts Timbers 2 for Last Game of the 2019 Season
- RGV FC Conclude 2019 Road Schedule with a 2-0 Win against OKC Energy
- Preview: RGV FC Makes Last Road Trip to OKC Energy