Suns win 14th straight at Mississippi
Pearl, Miss. - Tydus Meadows scored on a fifth inning wild pitch and the Jacksonville Suns pitching combination of Danny Muegge, Casey Hoorelbeke and Mark Alexander along with strong Suns defense stymied the Mississippi Braves offense en route to a 1-0 Wednesday night victory at Trustmark Park.
The win is the 14th in a row for the Suns, extending a franchise record. The Southern League record for consecutive victories is 16 by Montgomery in July of 1968. The first half South Division Champion Jacksonville Suns have also won 22 of the last 23 games and have the League's best record at 47-20.
Jacksonville's Danny Muegge and Mississippi's Dave Coggin worked in a pitcher's duel in the first four innings of the game. The Suns offense finally capitalized on a Coggin mistake in the fifth inning as Tydus Meadows scored on a wild pitch to break a scoreless tie.
The Suns defense made strong plays throughout the game as Tydus Meadows made a sliding catch at the warning track in the third inning and in the sixth inning made a catch at the front of the bullpen in left field. Shortstop Chin-Lung Hu made a brilliant ranging, over-the-shoulder catch in centerfield during the fifth inning to end a Mississippi scoring threat and preserve a 1-0 lead.
Danny Muegge rebounded from a seven-run outing his last time out against Huntsville with seven shutout innings while scattering five Mississippi hits. The Texan walked one and struck out three.
After Casey Hoorelbeke pitched a one-hit eighth inning, closer Mark Alexander slammed the door in the ninth inning after hitting a batter with two out and recording a strikeout to end the game.
Muegge improved to 6-4 in the win while Coggin fell to 0-3 in the loss. Alexander saved his 16th game of the season, the fourth best save total in the Southern League.
RHP Heath Totten will face Mississippi LHP Chris Waters in game three of the series Thursday at 8:05 p.m. ET. Fans can follow the action on AM 930 The Fox or online at jaxsuns.com and milb.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 14, 2006
- Suns win 14th straight at Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits subdue BayBears, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies drop first game to Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Unearned run downs Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Montgomery beats Mobile 5-3 - Mobile BayBears
- Stars hammer Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Birmingham tops Mudcats, 2-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Molina heads to DL - Carolina Mudcats
- Birmingham nips Carolina, 2-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Salas promoted to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tommy John appearance to highlight festivities at the 11th Annual Rickwood Classic - Birmingham Barons
- First half champs start second half at home Monday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Stories
- Fans Invited to Nominate Jumbo Shrimp Budweiser Military Family of the Game
- Jumbo Shrimp Single-Game Tickets for May Games Available Beginning April 21
- Jumbo Shrimp 2021 Triple-A Season to be Presented by FIS
- Pedrique to Lead Jumbo Shrimp Field Staff in 2021 Triple-A Season
- 121 Financial Ballpark Selected as Marlins' Alternate Training Site