Birmingham tops Mudcats, 2-1
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Birmingham Barons (30-37) used a strong pitching performance from Ray Liotta to defeat the Carolina Mudcats by the score of 2-1 on Wednesday afternoon, June 14th, in Southern League action at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium.
Liotta (7.1 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K), who is highlighted in a special feature article today (June 14th) on www.milb.com, held the Mudcats to just one run in 7.1 IP while improving his season record to 2-6. Ricardo Nanita (2-for-4) had two RBI while B.J. LaMura (1.2 IP 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K) induced an inning-ending double play to end a Carolina threat in the top of 8th. LaMura was credited with his second save of the season.
Edgar Gonzalez knocked in Jonathan Aceves to score Carolina's only run of the game. Gonzalez finished the contest 2-for-3 with one base on balls. Christopher Young (2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K; now 3-2) took the loss after coming on in the seventh inning to relieve starter Anibal Sanchez (6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 10 K; no decision).
The Barons will continue their current five-game series with the Mudcats (30-37) on Thursday evening, June 15th, with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. LHP Paul Mildren (4-5, 3.91 ERA) is listed as the probable starter for Carolina, while RHP Lance Broadway (4-4, 2.83 ERA) is scheduled to take the mound for Birmingham.
For more information please contact Taylor Bryan & Seth Carlisle, Media Relations Interns, at 205-988-3200 (ext. 17) or at email@example.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 14, 2006
- Suns win 14th straight at Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits subdue BayBears, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies drop first game to Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Unearned run downs Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Montgomery beats Mobile 5-3 - Mobile BayBears
- Stars hammer Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Birmingham tops Mudcats, 2-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Molina heads to DL - Carolina Mudcats
- Birmingham nips Carolina, 2-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Salas promoted to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tommy John appearance to highlight festivities at the 11th Annual Rickwood Classic - Birmingham Barons
- First half champs start second half at home Monday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.