Montgomery beats Mobile 5-3
MONTGOMERY, AL- For the second night in a row, the BayBears were limited by a Montgomery starting pitcher. Tony Peguero (7-6) pitched seven innings, allowing just one earned run in Montgomery's 5-3 win over Mobile Wednesday. The win came one night after Andy Sonnanstine threw a nine-inning complete game shutout. BayBears righty Jared Wells pitched just the first inning before leaving the game, and Mobile would end up sending five pitchers to the mound in the loss.
Mobile's first run came in the sixth inning, on an RBI single by George Kottaras. Michael Johnson's fifth home run this season cleared the wall in right field for Mobile's second run in the seventh. Down three in the eighth, the BayBears would leave the bases loaded off reliever Jean Machi, who picked up his fifth save of the season. Paul Abraham took the loss for Mobile, pitching two innings and allowing two runs.
The BayBears and Biscuits play again Thursday in Montgomery at 7:05. Roger Deago (4-3) takes the mound for Mobile, while Montgomery?s starter is TBA. All BayBears games can be heard on 1480 AM WABB, Comcast Cable Channel 18, and on the internet via mobilebaybears.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 14, 2006
- Suns win 14th straight at Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits subdue BayBears, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies drop first game to Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Unearned run downs Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Montgomery beats Mobile 5-3 - Mobile BayBears
- Stars hammer Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Birmingham tops Mudcats, 2-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Molina heads to DL - Carolina Mudcats
- Birmingham nips Carolina, 2-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Salas promoted to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tommy John appearance to highlight festivities at the 11th Annual Rickwood Classic - Birmingham Barons
- First half champs start second half at home Monday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.