Salas promoted to Durham
MONTGOMERY -- The Montgomery Biscuits announced today that after spending half of the season dominating Southern League hitters, ace reliever Juan Salas has been promoted to Durham (AAA - International League).
Salas put up eye-popping numbers from the Biscuits' bullpen. Most notably, he allowed no earned runs in 22 appearances, spanning 34 2/3 innings. He also allowed just 13 hits, limiting opponents to a .133 batting average. Among those hits, he allowed one one extra-base hit -- a double by Carolina's Jonathan Aceves on June 8.
Salas was 3-0 with 14 saves in 17 chances. Using a cut fastball of 93-96 miles per hour and an occasional slider and split-finger fastball, he had struck out 52, averaging 13.50 strikeouts per nine innings.
In a streak dating back to August 22, 2005, he had pitched 36 1/3 innings without allowing an earned run. He broke Chad Orvella's record of 25 1/3 innings, set in 2004-05.
Salas has been replaced on the active roster by lefty Yorkin Ferreras, who was sent to Hudson Valley (Short-A - New York-Penn League) just yesterday. Ferreras has struggled this season, allowing 24 earned runs and 39 hits in 21 1/3 innings. Opponents are hitting .402 against him and his ERA stands at 10.13.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 14, 2006
- Suns win 14th straight at Mississippi - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Biscuits subdue BayBears, 5-2 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies drop first game to Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Unearned run downs Braves - Mississippi Braves
- Montgomery beats Mobile 5-3 - Mobile BayBears
- Stars hammer Jaxx - Jackson Generals
- Birmingham tops Mudcats, 2-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Molina heads to DL - Carolina Mudcats
- Birmingham nips Carolina, 2-1 - Carolina Mudcats
- Salas promoted to Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Tommy John appearance to highlight festivities at the 11th Annual Rickwood Classic - Birmingham Barons
- First half champs start second half at home Monday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- See Former Biscuits in the World Series Tomorrow Night at Riverwalk
- Watch Game 2 of the World Series Tonight at Riverwalk
- Thursday Happy Hour Continues this Week
- See You at Riverwalk this Week for Happy Hour, Tailgates, 5Ks, and More
- Beat the Heat, Hang out in the Club Car Bar