Sundogs Come Back to Beat Jacks in OT, 3-2
PRESCOTT VALLEY, AZ - For the second straight game Luke Erickson scored a pair of goals for the Arizona Sundogs (17-17-4), this time in a 3-2, overtime win over the Odessa Jackalopes (18-15-5) on Friday night at Tim's Toyota Center. Arizona has won the first two of a three-game set this week, with the finale coming tomorrow between the two clubs.
Erickson's goals were both the game-tying and game-winning markers. The winner came on a breakaway 1:05 into the overtime period, after the Sundogs' leading scorer cheated well behind the Odessa defense and Cam Keith found him with a long pass through the neutral zone.
Keith also extended his league-high point streak to 13 games with an assist on Erickson's first goal. Odessa's Sebastien Thinel saw his team-high 10-game point streak come to an end in the loss.
It was Odessa's third loss in four overtime games this season. The Jackalopes did pick up a point in the standings however, creating a third place tie with the Texas Brahmas with 41 points in the Central Hockey League's Berry Conference.
Joey Sides scored the first period's only goal less than a minute into the game when a crossing pass from Kyle Hood hit a stick and fluttered into the left circle allowing Sides to bury a wrist shot for his 16th of the season.
The scoring halted until late in the second period when Darryl Bootland deflected Mike Ramsay's shot from the top of the left circle to knot the game at 1-1 with 4:40 remaining. Ramsay then found the scoresheet himself with 1:25 to go on a loose puck to the left side of the net. The goal was Ramsay's 19th on the year.
Erickson's first tally was a power play goal midway through period three as the Sundogs enjoyed an extended man-advantage with Odessa's Mike Lesperance and Patrick Mbaraga in the penalty box.
David McKee stopped 30 saves in the losing effort for the Jackalopes, while Levente Szuper picked up his second win against the Jackalopes in three nights after a 37-save performance.
While Odessa has picked up standings points in nine of the last 10 games, the Jackalopes are currently winless in their last three contests (0-1-2) after going 6-0-1 in the first seven games of that stretch.
The two teams wrap up their three-game set on Saturday at 8:05 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 21, 2011
- LeBlanc, Carroll & Menei Power Rush to 6-3 Victory Over IceMen - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Win Fourth Straight at Home, Top Jackalopes 3-2 in Overtime - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs Come Back to Beat Jacks in OT, 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Brahmas on Roll with Fourth Consecutive Win - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavs Take Thunder to the Wire, Fall 4-3 in Shootout - Kansas City Mavericks
- Mudbugs Gain Point in Hard-Fought OT Loss - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Dayton Gems Capture Third Straight Win - Dayton Gems
- Despite Lopsided Power Plays, Thunder Wins in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Mallards Rally Past Colorado 3-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Shorthanded Bucks Fall in Tulsa 6-1 - Laredo Bucks
- Miller Stings RiverKings in Dayton Victory - Mississippi RiverKings
- Brown, Mallards Ground Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Americans, Bees Announce Rescheduled Game Date - Allen Americans
- Killer Bees Reschedule Game Vs Allen - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Dayton Gems: Weekend Preview - Dayton Gems
- Shots from the Point for January 21, 2011 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.