Storylines: City vs. San Jose Earthquakes
Pride in Our City
Tuesday's fixture will serve as the Club's Pride in Our City match in celebration of Pride month and in remembrance of the five-year anniversary of the June 12, 2016 tragedy. Facing off against the same opposition they did in their return to the pitch five years ago, the Lions will wear rainbow numbers on the back of their Thick n Thin kits along with a specialty jersey patch located in the center of the chest. The side will also sport adidas' "Love Unites" rainbow tops for warm-ups with the items set to be auctioned off after the match.
Last Time in The City Beautiful
San Jose will make its first visit to downtown Orlando since April 21, 2018, a match that saw the Lions take a 3-2 victory on the day. Chris Mueller scored what was, at the time, the fastest goal in Club history just 63 seconds into the match, followed by finishes from former Lions Sacha Kljestan and Dom Dwyer.
Welcome to the Party
Goalkeeper Brandon Austin recorded his Orlando City debut on Saturday against Toronto, starting the match in between the posts and tallying two saves in the Lions' 3-2 victory over the Reds. Forward Daryl Dike returned to the Lions' lineup on Saturday night for the first time since his loan spell at Barnsley, entering the game in the 65th minute for Tesho Akindele.
Tesho Akindele netted his third finish of the year on Saturday night, finding the back of the net in the first minute of play for the second time this campaign. Akindele has played a role in five of the Lions' last six finishes, with two goals and three assists to his credit throughout that stretch. The 2014 MLS Rookie of the Year tallied another assist on Saturday on Nani's finish in the eighth minute of play.
Welcome Back Captain
Luis Nani found the back of the net for the fourth time on the year on Saturday night, heading home a cross from Tesho Akindele to extend his team lead in finishes this campaign. The captain's next goal will see him pass Kaká for second in Club history in all competitions, now with 25 goals to his name as a Lion.
Silvester van der Water continued his involvement in the attack this past Saturday, tallying a goal contribution for the third-consecutive match with the secondary assist on Nani's finish against the Reds. The Dutch front man has now tallied one finish and two assists in six appearances as a Lion.
Júnior Urso scored his second goal of the year on Saturday night, good for the game-winner against Toronto FC at Exploria Stadium. The Bear now has six goals since joining the Lions ahead of the 2020 season, with three assists to add in 35 appearances.
Chris Mueller's next goal will be his 20th for Orlando City in all competitions and his 19th in the MLS regular season.
Mueller is one assist away from tying Kaká for the most in Club history (22).
Mueller is five appearances away from tying Cristian Higuita for the most in Club history in all competitions (108).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2021
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 21, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 8 - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Hires Patrick Nyarko as Academy Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Defender Bressan Receives U.S. Green Card - FC Dallas
- By the Numbers: Two Games in Four Days - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent: San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Week of Fan Events Ahead of California Clasico at PayPal Park on June 26 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces New League, Timbers Affiliate to Join in 2022 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Announces Donations to Local Organizations - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines: City vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City to Host San Jose on Tuesday - Orlando City SC
- Rodolfo Pizarro Called up to Mexican National Team Friendlies - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Launches New Professional League - MLS
- Inter Miami CF vs. CF Montréal Match Moved to Red Bull Arena - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Will Play Home Games at Red Bull Arena and at Exploria Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Orlando City Falls to Top-Seeded New England Revolution
- Orlando City Travels to Face New England Revolution on Saturday
- Orlando City Falls 3-1 on Road to Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Travels to Face Philadelphia Union on Sunday
- Ruan, Robin Jansson Score First MLS Goals as Lions Fall to Montréal