Sporting KC Weekly
Occupying second place in the Western Conference, Sporting Kansas City (5-3-2, 17 points) will look to bounce back from Saturday's 2-1 road loss to the Portland Timbers when they host two regular season matches this week at Children's Mercy Park.
On Wednesday, Manager Peter Vermes' side will welcome the third-place Colorado Rapids (5-2-1, 16 points) for a 7:30 p.m. CT showdown with tickets available at SeatGeek.com . In a pregame ceremony shortly before kickoff, former captain and goalkeeper Jimmy Nielsen will be inducted as the newest member of the Sporting Legends hall of honor. Bally Sports Kansas City Plus, Bally Sports Midwest Plus, BallySports.com and the Bally Sports app will provide three hours of live coverage starting at 7 p.m. CT, while listeners can catch the action on Sports Radio 810 WHB (English) and La Grande 1340 AM (Spanish). The Final Whistle postgame show will air immediately afterward on 810 WHB.
On Saturday, Sporting will host LAFC (2-3-3, 9 points) in a nationally televised contest on ESPN, ESPN Deportes and the ESPN app. Kickoff is set for 4:30 p.m. CT and a limited number of tickets for the match remain available at SeatGeek.com. Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM will broadcast the game locally, with The Final Whistle postgame show also airing on 810 WHB.
A new episode of the Sporting KC Show Podcast will debut at 7 p.m. CT Tuesday on Sports Radio 810 WHB. Hosts Nate Bukaty, Aly Trost and Conall McCourt will hear from a Sporting guest and preview a busy week of MLS and international action. The Sporting KC Show Podcast is available on Spotify, iTunes and SportingKC.com, giving supporters a weekly destination to catch up on club storylines, player achievements, guest interviews and more.
Led by head coach Paulo Nagamura, Sporting Kansas City II (1-5-4, 7 points) will continue their USL Championship campaign with two road matches this week as they visit OKC Energy FC (1-4-4, 7 points) on Wednesday at Taft Stadium and Memphis 901 FC (2-3-2, 8 points) on Saturday at AutoZone Park. Both games will kick off at 7:30 p.m. CT and stream live on ESPN Plus.
Four Sporting Kansas City Academy teams will travel to the Dallas Metroplex this week for the MLS NEXT Cup Playoffs and Showcase, which will take place from June 25-July 3 and crown MLS NEXT Cup champions in four age groups at the U-15, U-16, U-17 and U-19 levels. Follow @SKCAcademy on Twitter for live updates throughout the tournament.
For news, videos, photos and instant updates throughout the 2021 season, follow Sporting Kansas City on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and download the official Sporting KC app.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2021
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 21, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 8 - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Hires Patrick Nyarko as Academy Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Defender Bressan Receives U.S. Green Card - FC Dallas
- By the Numbers: Two Games in Four Days - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent: San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Week of Fan Events Ahead of California Clasico at PayPal Park on June 26 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces New League, Timbers Affiliate to Join in 2022 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Announces Donations to Local Organizations - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines: City vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City to Host San Jose on Tuesday - Orlando City SC
- Rodolfo Pizarro Called up to Mexican National Team Friendlies - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Launches New Professional League - MLS
- Inter Miami CF vs. CF Montréal Match Moved to Red Bull Arena - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Will Play Home Games at Red Bull Arena and at Exploria Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Saturday
- Sporting KC and Love, Tito's Team up to Support the Victory Project and Other Nonprofits
- Compass Minerals Launches Youth Soccer Scholarship
- Sporting KC Welcomes Patrick Mahomes as Member of Sporting Club Ownership Group
- Sporting KC Weekly