Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 21, 2021
The San Jose Earthquakes earned a point in a scoreless draw against Austin FC on Saturday evening in the first ever MLS match at Q2 Stadium. Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski made six saves to keep his first shutout of 2021.
The Earthquakes are now preparing for two matches this week, first continuing their road trip on Tuesday, June 22 vs. Orlando City SC, before returning to San Jose to host the LA Galaxy in the California Clasico on Saturday, June 26, presented by Sutter Health. Saturday's rivalry match at PayPal Park will be the first played with no capacity restrictions since March 7, 2020.
Tuesday's match will kick off from Exploria Stadium at 4:30 p.m. PT, while Saturday's match at PayPal Park is slated for 7:00 p.m. PT. Both matches will be broadcast nationally on UniMás, TUDN and Twitter (English audio), and aired via radio on KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
LAST GAME VS. AUSTIN FC (6/19)
First MLS Matchup
The Quakes are now 0-0-1 all-time vs. Austin FC.
Stop the Skid
With the draw, the Quakes snapped their four-match losing streak dating back to May 12.
Security in Net
Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski earned his sixth career shutout and first of 2021. His last shutout came on Oct. 28, 2020 vs. RSL. Marcinkowski made six saves, equaling his career high. His 12 saves over the past two games are the most in consecutive matches in his career (previous high was 10).
Chris Wondolowski made his first start of the 2021 season. It marked his first regular season start since Nov. 8, 2020.
NEXT GAME VS. ORLANDO CITY SC (6/22)
The Quakes hold a 1-1-3 all-time record vs. Orlando City SC, dropping just one of their previous five meetings. The last meeting, on Aug. 31, 2019, resulted in a 3-0 win for San Jose.
Saturday's match marks the first time San Jose visits an Eastern Conference opponent since Sept. 21, 2019 (at Atlanta United FC).
San Jose has scored six of their nine goals all-time vs. Orlando in the second half of matches, with five coming after the 75th minute. Orlando has scored five of their seven goals against the Quakes in the second half.
In just four games against Orlando, Chris Wondolowski has scored four career goals, most against the club among all players in Quakes history.
Chris Wondolowski scored his 100th career MLS goal vs. Orlando City SC on May 24, 2015 at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.
Midfielder Eric Remedi will serve a one-game suspension due to yellow card accumulation after receiving a yellow card during last match vs. Austin FC.
NEXT GAME VS. LA GALAXY (6/26)
Saturday's California Clasico will be the Quakes' first match with no capacity restrictions since March 7, 2020.
The Quakes and LA Galaxy have met 75 times in the MLS regular season, with San Jose holding a 26-33-16 all-time record.
The Earthquakes hold a 6-3-2 record in their last 11 meetings with the Galaxy dating back to July 2017.
Out for Revenge
The Quakes will seek to avenge a 1-0 defeat to the Galaxy on May 29. San Jose forced Galaxy keeper Jonathan Bond to make 12 saves in the match.
Can't Stop Him
Chris Wondolowski has 12 career goals against the Galaxy, tied for third most against the club in MLS history. His 12 goals are the most among active players.
Lending a Hand
Shea Salinas has recorded seven career assists against LA, tied for third most among all active players.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2021
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 21, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 8 - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Hires Patrick Nyarko as Academy Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Defender Bressan Receives U.S. Green Card - FC Dallas
- By the Numbers: Two Games in Four Days - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent: San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Week of Fan Events Ahead of California Clasico at PayPal Park on June 26 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces New League, Timbers Affiliate to Join in 2022 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Announces Donations to Local Organizations - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines: City vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City to Host San Jose on Tuesday - Orlando City SC
- Rodolfo Pizarro Called up to Mexican National Team Friendlies - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Launches New Professional League - MLS
- Inter Miami CF vs. CF Montréal Match Moved to Red Bull Arena - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Will Play Home Games at Red Bull Arena and at Exploria Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Acquire Forward Jeremy Ebobisse in Trade with Portland Timbers
- Quakes extend unbeaten streak to six, Chofis scores fourth MLS goal
- Earthquakes Face the Portland Timbers Tonight
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Selected to MLS All-Star Team
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: August 2, 2021