New England Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 8
June 21, 2021 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - New England Revolution goalkeeper Matt Turner has been voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for Week 8 of the 2021 MLS season.
Turner recorded a season-high seven saves in New England's 3-2 win over NYCFC at Red Bull Arena on Saturday evening.
The 26-year-old came up big early in the game, saving a Valentin Castellanos penalty kick in the 12th minute to keep the score level. The penalty save was the second of Turner's MLS league career.
Turner denied Castellanos again when he saved a point-blank effort from inside the six-yard box. In the second half, the Revolution goalkeeper made a double save to preserve his side's 3-2 lead. He saved Ismael Tajouri-Shradi's initial 1-v-1 opportunity and quickly got back up to block Jesús Medina's effort on goal from the rebound.
As the game entered four minutes of added time, NYCFC looked to bypass Turner one more time from a set piece to level the game. Maxi Moralez met the incoming free kick with a well-hit volley, but the Revolution's shot-stopper produced an agile one-handed save to stop Moralez's effort from finding the back of the net and solidified the three points for his team on the road. Turner was credited with his league-leading sixth goalkeeper win of the season.
The Revolution host the New York Red Bulls (7 p.m. ET; ESPN+) on June 23 in their second meeting of the season before traveling to Texas to face FC Dallas (9 p.m. ET; ESPN+) on June 27.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2021
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 21, 2021 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Weekly - LA Galaxy
- Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Goalkeeper Matt Turner Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 8 - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Hires Patrick Nyarko as Academy Coach - Chicago Fire FC
- FC Dallas Defender Bressan Receives U.S. Green Card - FC Dallas
- By the Numbers: Two Games in Four Days - Orlando City SC
- Know Your Opponent: San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes to Host Week of Fan Events Ahead of California Clasico at PayPal Park on June 26 - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Announces New League, Timbers Affiliate to Join in 2022 - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Announces Donations to Local Organizations - Minnesota United FC
- Storylines: City vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City to Host San Jose on Tuesday - Orlando City SC
- Rodolfo Pizarro Called up to Mexican National Team Friendlies - Inter Miami CF
- Major League Soccer Launches New Professional League - MLS
- Inter Miami CF vs. CF Montréal Match Moved to Red Bull Arena - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Will Play Home Games at Red Bull Arena and at Exploria Stadium - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.