Sting Add Three More Prospects After OHL Under-18 Selection
Sarnia Sting General Manager Nick Sinclair and his scouting staff completed the 4th annual Ontario Hockey League Under-18 Priority Selection on Wednesday Afternoon.
The concept for the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection was developed in 2017 with full support from Hockey Canada's three Ontario Branches including the Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF), Hockey Eastern Ontario (HEO), and Hockey Northwestern Ontario (HNO), to assist in the growth of Midget hockey and provide further opportunities for players at different stages of their hockey development.
With the first round selection (3rd overall) the Sarnia Sting grabbed the rights to Goaltender Anson Thornton. The Maple, ON native played this past season for the Toronto Titans Midget AAA. In his previous season, Thornton was a part of the OHL Cup Champion Don Mills Flyers, a team that included the likes of exceptional status Shane Wright (Kingston Frontenacs) and Brennan Othman (Flint Firebirds). Thornton had an impressive 2019 OHL Cup Showcase that included 4 GP , a 1.21 GAA and 2 shutouts.
Rounding out the Under-18 draft for the Sting included two skaters.
With the second-round selection, Sinclair chose LD William Gourgouvelis who suited up this past season with the Ajax-Pickering Raiders Midget AAA. The Brooklin, ON native tallied 34 points in 35 games (7 G, 27A) for his Raiders Club.
The Sting's final selection on Wednesday afternoon went to RW- James Ingram of the Whitby Wildcats Midget AAA. The 5'11" winger totaled 11 goals and 38 assists for 49 points this past year. He also had an impressive playoff performance for his Wildcats that included: 10 points in 5 games (4 goals, 6 assists).
You can see the complete draft results of the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection here. The newly acquired Sting prospects as well as those selected in this past Saturday's OHL Priority Selection will meet at Progressive Auto Sales Arena when Training Camp is projected to open in late August.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 8, 2020
- 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection Draft Coverage - Kingston Frontenacs
- Tullio, Suni and Moore Appear on Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection - Flint Firebirds
- Seven Greyhounds in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Soo Greyhounds
- 6 Otters in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Erie Otters
- 57 OHL Players in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - OHL
- Rangers Draft Forwards Cato and Hunt in 2020 U18 Priority Selection - Kitchener Rangers
- Wolves Add Three in U18 OHL Draft - Sudbury Wolves
- NHL Sees Coe on Rise - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Completes 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
- London Completes 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - London Knights
- Otters Select Three at 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Steelheads Add 3 Prospects in U18 Priority Selection - Mississauga Steelheads
- Battalion Adds Three - North Bay Battalion
- 67's Choose Three Local Players in 2020 OHL U18 Priority Selection - Ottawa 67's
- Select 2019 Playoff Game Worn Jerseys Being Auctioned off Now - Guelph Storm
- Sting Grab Goaltender with 3rd Overall Pick in OHL U18 Draft - Sarnia Sting
- Attack Add Three in U18 Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Add Three More Prospects After OHL Under-18 Selection - Sarnia Sting
- Petes Select Two Players in the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Picks in 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - Guelph Storm
- 2020 Graduating Class: Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Set for 4th-Annual Under-18 Priority Selection Wednesday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL Set for 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.