2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection Draft Coverage
Earlier today, the Ontario Hockey League conducted the fourth annual OHL Under-18 Priority Selection for Midget AAA hockey players in Ontario.
The annual Under-18 Priority Selection was held entirely online, adhering to all government and public health COVID-19 physical distancing guidelines at both the League and member team levels. This year's unique approach to a very special day was conducted in the interest of ensuring the health and safety of prospects, their families as well as OHL member team and League personnel.
Eligibility for the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection included all Midget players (2002 and 2003 birth years) not currently on an OHL Member Team Protected List who were carded with an Ontario based Midget AAA Hockey Club within the Ontario Hockey Federation, Hockey Eastern Ontario, or Hockey Northwestern Ontario in the current season.
The Kingston Frontenacs entered the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection holding the 5th overall (first round) and 25th overall (second round) selections. General Manager of the Kingston Frontenacs, Darren Keily and his scouting staff were looking to add depth to their roster during the Under-18 draft. "With the U18 draft, you are looking for players that are late bloomers. Players that have the potential to come in and compete for a spot," Keily said during a conference call on Wednesday.
With the fifth overall pick, Kingston selected right winger Paul Hughes from the Kanata Lasers U18 hockey program. Paul is a 6'0.75" tall forward that weighs 164 pounds. He led his team in points during the 2019/20 season. In 45 games played, Paul registered 61 points (25 goals and 36 assists). The Kanata Lasers finished the 2019-20 season with the second best record in HEO Major Midget AAA (32-9-1-3 for 68 points). During the 2020 Championship Tournament, Paul recorded 4 goals and 3 assists in 4 games played.
"Paul is a right shot that helps our depth," said Darren. "We watched quite a bit of him this year and we feel that he's really close; if not ready to play at this level. He's a really responsible player on the ice and he put up some very good numbers this year."
Kingston selected Bradley Leblanc with their second round selection (25th overall). Bradley is a right shot defenceman from the Rockland Nationals U18 hockey program. He is 5'11.5" tall and weighs 150lbs. Bradley led his team's defensive unit in points during the 2019/20 season. He finished the regular season with 23 points (1 goal and 22 assists). The Rockland Nationals U18 finished the 2019-20 season with the third best record in HEO Major Midget AAA (31-10-2-2 for 66 points).
"We were looking for depth in the right defense position." Darren said when asked about Bradley. "He sees the ice well. He is a good skater. He skates with his head up and he has the ability to make good, crisp first passes. We are thrilled to welcome Bradley and Paul to the Kingston Frontenacs."
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 8, 2020
- 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection Draft Coverage - Kingston Frontenacs
- Tullio, Suni and Moore Appear on Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection - Flint Firebirds
- Seven Greyhounds in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Soo Greyhounds
- 6 Otters in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Erie Otters
- 57 OHL Players in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - OHL
- Rangers Draft Forwards Cato and Hunt in 2020 U18 Priority Selection - Kitchener Rangers
- Wolves Add Three in U18 OHL Draft - Sudbury Wolves
- NHL Sees Coe on Rise - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Completes 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
- London Completes 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - London Knights
- Otters Select Three at 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Steelheads Add 3 Prospects in U18 Priority Selection - Mississauga Steelheads
- Battalion Adds Three - North Bay Battalion
- 67's Choose Three Local Players in 2020 OHL U18 Priority Selection - Ottawa 67's
- Select 2019 Playoff Game Worn Jerseys Being Auctioned off Now - Guelph Storm
- Sting Grab Goaltender with 3rd Overall Pick in OHL U18 Draft - Sarnia Sting
- Attack Add Three in U18 Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Add Three More Prospects After OHL Under-18 Selection - Sarnia Sting
- Petes Select Two Players in the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Picks in 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - Guelph Storm
- 2020 Graduating Class: Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Set for 4th-Annual Under-18 Priority Selection Wednesday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL Set for 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kingston Frontenacs Stories
- On and off the Ice, Tommy Budnick Is Always Competing
- Franchise Memories: a Goal for the Goalie
- Remembering his Childhood, Zayde Wisdom Wants to Bring Holiday Joy to Families
- Kingston's Chromiak Named to Team Slovakia for 2021 World Juniors
- How Growing up on a Farm Led Nick Wong to the OHL