Rangers Draft Forwards Cato and Hunt in 2020 U18 Priority Selection
The Kitchener Rangers welcomed two new prospects to the organization on Wednesday afternoon during the fourth annual OHL U18 Priority Selection. The U18 DraftÂ targeted the top 2002 and 2003-born Midget AAA players fromÂ across Ontario.
The Rangers selected centremen with each of their two picks: Matthew Cato of the Ajax-Picking Raiders (1st round, 17th overall) and Tyler HuntÂ from the Halton Hills Hurricanes (2nd round, 37th overall).
In 33 regular season games with the Raiders, Cato led his team with 30 goalsÂ and ranked second in points with 53.Â The Whitby, ON native also had 13 points in eight playoff games.
Hunt was also an offensive leader for his squadÂ thisÂ year, rankingÂ first in goals with 17 over the course of 28 regular season games. He led the team with five in eight post-season games.
The forward from Oakville, ON also suited-up for three games with the Thorold Blackhawks and recorded three points.
"We've seen several players propel themselves into the Ontario Hockey League through the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection and for those players selected, this is just another opportunity to get better every single day, showcase yourself and further your development,"Â said OHL Director of Player Recruitment Kyle Pereira.
The concept for the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection was developed in 2017 with full support from Hockey Canada's three Ontario Branches including the Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF), Hockey Eastern Ontario (HEO), and Hockey Northwestern Ontario (HNO), to assist in the growth of Midget hockey and provide further opportunities for players at different stages of their hockey development.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 8, 2020
- 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection Draft Coverage - Kingston Frontenacs
- Tullio, Suni and Moore Appear on Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection - Flint Firebirds
- Seven Greyhounds in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Soo Greyhounds
- 6 Otters in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Erie Otters
- 57 OHL Players in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - OHL
- Rangers Draft Forwards Cato and Hunt in 2020 U18 Priority Selection - Kitchener Rangers
- Wolves Add Three in U18 OHL Draft - Sudbury Wolves
- NHL Sees Coe on Rise - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Completes 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
- London Completes 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - London Knights
- Otters Select Three at 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Steelheads Add 3 Prospects in U18 Priority Selection - Mississauga Steelheads
- Battalion Adds Three - North Bay Battalion
- 67's Choose Three Local Players in 2020 OHL U18 Priority Selection - Ottawa 67's
- Select 2019 Playoff Game Worn Jerseys Being Auctioned off Now - Guelph Storm
- Sting Grab Goaltender with 3rd Overall Pick in OHL U18 Draft - Sarnia Sting
- Attack Add Three in U18 Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Add Three More Prospects After OHL Under-18 Selection - Sarnia Sting
- Petes Select Two Players in the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Picks in 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - Guelph Storm
- 2020 Graduating Class: Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Set for 4th-Annual Under-18 Priority Selection Wednesday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL Set for 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.