Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection
Flint, Mich. - The Flint Firebirds addedÂ three newÂ prospects to the organizationÂ in theÂ fourth annual Under-18 OHL Priority Selection, Wednesday, Apr. 8. The Firebirds selectedÂ two forwards and one defenseman. Wednesday draft followed Saturday's Under-16 OHL Priority Selection where theÂ Firebirds added 14 new prospectsÂ to the organization.
In the draft, a total of 56 players were selected from 34 different teams and included 30 forwards, 16 goaltenders and 10 defensemen. 55 of the 56 players selected were born in 2003 including 45 with birthdays before September.
The Firebirds selectedÂ forward Kale Couvillon (pronouncedÂ koo-vee-on) in the first-round (16th overall). A native ofÂ Amherstburg, ON, Couvillon recorded 49 points (33G, 16A) including 86 penalty minutes in 45 games with the Windsor Jr. Spitfires Midget AAA Hockey Club in the Minor Hockey Alliance of Ontario (MHAO).Â The 5-foot-6, 166 pound forward was an assistant captain with the Jr. Spitfires and also played in one game with Firebirds' affiliate, Leamington Flyers in the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL) last season.
Next, the Firebirds selected goaltender Ethan Fraser in the second-round (36th overall). Fraser, a native of Belleville, Ont., posted a 2.48 goals against average (GAA) including three shutouts in 22 games played with the Quinte Red Devils in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association-Eastern Toronto Area (OMHA-ETA).Â The 6-foot, 185-pound netminderÂ has spent the last sevenÂ seasons with the Red Devils and was named the team's 'Defensive Player of the Year.' this campaign.
Flint then selected forward Jackson PhillipsÂ in the third-round, 54th overall. A native of Rockwood, Ont., Phillips tallied 30 points (16G, 14A) in 30 games with theÂ Guelph Jr. Gryphons in the Ontario Minor Hockey Association-South Central Triple-A League.Â The 5-foot-11, 168-pound skater was selected to compete in both the OMHA and SCTA league all-star games and has been named an assistant captain for the past four years.
2020 U-18 Priority Selection (April 8th, 2020)
Rd./Pk. Player Pos. HT WT DOB Team Hometown
1/16 Kale Couvillon RW 5.06 166 12/09/2003 Windsor Jr. Spitfires (MHAO) Amherstburg, ON
2/36 Ethan Fraser G 6.00 185 01/10/2003 Quinte Red Devils (OMHA-ETA) Belleville, ON
3/54 Jackson Phillips C 5.11 168 03/18/2003 Guelph Jr. Gryphons (OMHA-SCTA) Rockwood, ON
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 8, 2020
- 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection Draft Coverage - Kingston Frontenacs
- Tullio, Suni and Moore Appear on Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection - Flint Firebirds
- Seven Greyhounds in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Soo Greyhounds
- 6 Otters in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Erie Otters
- 57 OHL Players in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - OHL
- Rangers Draft Forwards Cato and Hunt in 2020 U18 Priority Selection - Kitchener Rangers
- Wolves Add Three in U18 OHL Draft - Sudbury Wolves
- NHL Sees Coe on Rise - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Completes 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
- London Completes 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - London Knights
- Otters Select Three at 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Steelheads Add 3 Prospects in U18 Priority Selection - Mississauga Steelheads
- Battalion Adds Three - North Bay Battalion
- 67's Choose Three Local Players in 2020 OHL U18 Priority Selection - Ottawa 67's
- Select 2019 Playoff Game Worn Jerseys Being Auctioned off Now - Guelph Storm
- Sting Grab Goaltender with 3rd Overall Pick in OHL U18 Draft - Sarnia Sting
- Attack Add Three in U18 Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Add Three More Prospects After OHL Under-18 Selection - Sarnia Sting
- Petes Select Two Players in the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Picks in 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - Guelph Storm
- 2020 Graduating Class: Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Set for 4th-Annual Under-18 Priority Selection Wednesday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL Set for 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Dellandrea Set to Make NHL Debut Tonight After Four Seasons in Flint
- Voice of Firebirds Hennig Tabbed by CCHA
- Voice of Firebirds Dominic Hennig Named Director of Strategic Communications & Brand Advancement of CCHA
- $2-Million Renovation Happening at Dort Financial Center
- Piercey to Face-Off vs. WHL's Lethbridge in Round 2 of Memorial ECup Presented by Kia Thursday