OHL Set for 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection
April 8, 2020 - Ontario Hockey League (OHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The fourth annual OHL Under-18 Priority Selection is set to commence today at 12:00pm where no fewer than 40 players born in 2002 and 2003 will be chosen from Midget AAA programs from across the province.
The selections can be followed streaming live with audio on the OHL's YouTube channel or with live results at ontariohockeyleague.com.
Here's everything you need to know about the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection:
The concept for the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection was developed in 2017 with full support from Hockey Canada's three Ontario Branches including the Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF), Hockey Eastern Ontario (HEO), and Hockey Northwestern Ontario (HNO), to assist in the growth of Midget hockey and provide further opportunities for players at different stages of their hockey development.
OHL U18 Draft Picks in the OHL:
Victor Hadfield (Barrie Colts, 1st overall 2017), Emmett Serensits (Sudbury Wolves, 7th overall, 2017), Marko Jakovljevic (Sarnia Sting, 28th overall 2017), Kaleb Pearson (Owen Sound Attack, 29th overall 2017).
Mitchell Weeks (Sudbury Wolves, 1st overall 2018), Dustin Hutton (Kingston Frontenacs, 3rd overall (PBO) 2018), Daniel D'Amato (Erie Otters, 4th overall 2018), Griffin Wilson (Owen Sound Attack, 15th overall 2018), Dakota Betts (Niagara IceDogs, 17th overall (KIT) 2018)
Ryan Thompson (North Bay Battalion, 8th overall 2019), Logan LeSage (Owen Sound Attack, 29th overall 2019), Gavin White (Hamilton Bulldogs, 47th overall 2019)
Players Eligible for Selection:
All Midget players not currently on a CHL Member Team Protected List who were carded with a Midget AAA Hockey Club within the OHF, HNO, or HEO in the 2019-20 playing season are eligible for selection in the OHL Under-18 Priority Selection.
Once selected, players will be added to a separately designated Under-18 Priority Selection protected list, distinct from the 50-man protected list for players selected in the OHL Priority Selection or committing to OHL member teams as free agents.
The Under-18 Priority Selection Process is capped at two rounds with each OHL Member Team required to select two players.
Given the cancellation of the 2019-20 OHL regular season, the order of Selection for the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection is determined by inverse order of the standings at the 61-game mark of the 2019-20 OHL regular season schedule of games with those teams who would not have qualified for the playoffs at that time selecting ahead of teams in playoff positions.
The North Bay Battalion will select first overall, followed by the Niagara IceDogs, Sarnia Sting, Soo Greyhounds and the Kingston Frontenacs rounding out the top five selections.
Should a Member Team select a goalie with one of their two selections, the Club has the option to select another player (skater only). There will be an additional round added to the Under-18 Priority Selection to facilitate the drafting of the additional skater utilizing the same selection order and process.
General Rules of Selection:
OHL Member Teams may utilize a maximum of five minutes to select a player through the duration of the Under-18 Priority Selection.
Each OHL Member Team will have the opportunity for one two minute timeout during the Under-18 Priority Selection.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 8, 2020
- 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection Draft Coverage - Kingston Frontenacs
- Tullio, Suni and Moore Appear on Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Oshawa Generals
- Firebirds Add Three New Prospects in U-18 Priority Selection - Flint Firebirds
- Seven Greyhounds in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Soo Greyhounds
- 6 Otters in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - Erie Otters
- 57 OHL Players in Final 2020 NHL Central Scouting Draft Rankings - OHL
- Rangers Draft Forwards Cato and Hunt in 2020 U18 Priority Selection - Kitchener Rangers
- Wolves Add Three in U18 OHL Draft - Sudbury Wolves
- NHL Sees Coe on Rise - North Bay Battalion
- OHL Completes 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
- London Completes 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - London Knights
- Otters Select Three at 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Steelheads Add 3 Prospects in U18 Priority Selection - Mississauga Steelheads
- Battalion Adds Three - North Bay Battalion
- 67's Choose Three Local Players in 2020 OHL U18 Priority Selection - Ottawa 67's
- Select 2019 Playoff Game Worn Jerseys Being Auctioned off Now - Guelph Storm
- Sting Grab Goaltender with 3rd Overall Pick in OHL U18 Draft - Sarnia Sting
- Attack Add Three in U18 Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Add Three More Prospects After OHL Under-18 Selection - Sarnia Sting
- Petes Select Two Players in the 2020 OHL Under-18 Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Picks in 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - Guelph Storm
- 2020 Graduating Class: Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Firebirds Set for 4th-Annual Under-18 Priority Selection Wednesday - Flint Firebirds
- OHL Set for 2020 Under-18 Priority Selection - OHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.