STARS RALLY FOR 5-4 OVERTIME WIN OVER STAMPEDE
Paul Cotter scores two including game-winner, Stars score four-unanswered in comeback
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars (5-4-0-0) rallied with four-unanswered goals to come back in an eventual 5-4 overtime win over the Sioux Falls Stampede (4-4-3-2) on Saturday night from the Ice Box.
The Stampede scored three goals in the first period starting with a 2-on-1 converted by forward Adam Dawe at 5:52 to take the 1-0 lead followed by a rebound touch by forward Kevin Conley at 8:41, which doubled the lead, 2-0. Sioux Falls added one more at 15:31 on a centering pass to forward Mitchell Mattson, giving the road side a 3-0 lead.
An opposing power play led the Stars to begin their comeback effort at 9:00 when Stars forward Ashton Calder took away a puck shorthanded and fed captain Dominick Mersch for his first shorthanded goal of the year to put the Stars on the board, 3-1. Despite some controversy, Stars forward Paul Cotter just snuck a rebound inside the right post at 14:51 to draw the Stars within one, 3-2.
The Stars broke through in the third period with two more starting at 2:27 on a shot from defenseman Atte Tuliara from the right point followed by a rebound goal from forward Casey Dornbach at 5:02 to take their first lead, 4-3. With the extra attacker, Stampede forward Nolan Walker sent the game to overtime at 4-4. At 1:40 of overtime, Stars forward Paul Cotter knocked in a rebound by the netminder's pad to seal the 5-4 win.
Stars goaltender Derek Schaedig (2-1-0) earned the win, saving 10 of 11 shots in relief, while Stampede netminder Mikhail Berdin (4-3-3) halted 40 of 45 shots in the loss. The Stars host the Fargo Force at the Ice Box on Friday, Nov. 17 at 7:35 p.m. Tickets are available by calling 402-474-7827 or online at LincolnStars.com. Coverage begins 13 minutes prior to faceoff on 93.7 The Ticket, HockeyTV and Lincoln Stars Radio.
Season tickets for the 2017-2018 season are now available by calling 402-474-7827. The Stars mobile app is also available in the iTunes and Google Play stores with "tap to buy" tickets, in-game push notifications and a rewards program that puts fans in the skates of a player. Download Now!
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 13, 2017
- Storm Shutout Black Hawks - Tri-City Storm
- FLYING ACES PREVAIL IN WILD OVERTIME AFFAIR - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Rally Late to Earn a Point in Lincoln - Sioux Falls Stampede
- METSA'S FIRST USHL GOAL GIVES PHANTOMS OVERTIME WIN - Youngstown Phantoms
- STARS RALLY FOR 5-4 OVERTIME WIN OVER STAMPEDE - Lincoln Stars
- Lamoreaux stops 35 shots for his first USHL victory in net - Madison Capitols
- LANCERS VICTORIOUS IN DOUBLEHEADER WEEKEND - Omaha Lancers
- U.S. Drops 5-2 Decision to Russia at Deutschland Cup - U.S. National Team
- Storm Looks to Respond in Rematch Game vs. Waterloo - Tri-City Storm
- U.S. National Under-18 Team Falls to Finland, 4-3 in Shootout - U.S. National Team
- O'Reilly nets two goals to lead the Caps to victory - Madison Capitols
- PHANTOMS COMEBACK GROUNDS FLYING ACES - Youngstown Phantoms
- STEEL RALLY FOR 3-2 WIN IN DUBUQUE - Chicago Steel
- Storm Win Streak Snapped by Waterloo - Tri-City Storm
- MAGERA'S LATE TALLY UPENDS SAINTS - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede Collect a Point in OT Loss to Sioux City - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Team USA Defeats Sweden, 5-0, at Four Nations Cup - U.S. National Team
- LANCERS SHUTOUT GAMBLERS - Omaha Lancers
- COLLEGE NIGHT TONIGHT AS SAINTS HOST STEEL - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.