Stars Finish Home Slate with 3-1 Win over Stampede
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars (21-28-4) scored three times in the third period, beating the Sioux Falls Stampede (18-31-4) 3-1 at the Ice Box on Friday night.
Reid Pabich notched his tenth goal of the season for the Stampede, finishing a rebound opportunity at 6:09. Cal Thomas and Dan Russell picked up the assists, giving Sioux Falls the advantage early on. The Stars were 0-for-2 on the power play in the first period and were 1-for-1 on the penalty kill. Lincoln outshot Sioux Falls 11-6 in the opening frame, but the visitors skated away with a one-goal lead.
The second period was just as frustrating for Lincoln as Trent Burnham continued to be perfect despite the Stars firing 14 more shots on goal. Both teams found themselves in the penalty box with ease in the middle frame, but neither could penetrate the back of the net.
Lincoln remained down 1-0 following 40 minutes of play.
Luke Mittelstadt eventually broke through for Lincoln, firing a wrister from the slot that beat Burnham over the left arm. The Eden Prairie, MN native's goal marked his second of the year at 2:06. Nick Nardecchia and Stanley Cooley registered assists. The Stars continued to keep the pressure on, creating more and more scoring chances as the period progressed. Following a Stars dump-in, Jack Horbach retrieved a puck along the endboards and threw it out to the slot to a wide open Nardecchia, who ripped it by Burnham. Nardecchia's fourth goal of 2020-21 came at 7:11 as Carter Schade collected the secondary assist.
Dominic James added to Lincoln's explosive period, notching his 12th goal of the year at 11:44. Horbach provided the excellent pass from the left circle through the slot for a re-direction by the Minnesota-Duluth commit. Schade started the play by picking off a pass in the neutral zone before feeding it to Horbach. James, who appeared in his 100th career game tonight (all with Lincoln), extended his career-high point streak to eight games with the goal.
Ryan Ouellette was solid in goal turning aside 18 shots, securing his 16th victory. Burnham stopped 35. Lincoln was 0-for-7 on the power play and 7-for-7 on the penalty kill.
The Stars finish up the 2020-21 regular season on the road at 7 p.m. tomorrow against the Stampede in South Dakota. Catch the game on HockeyTV or listen to it on Mixlr!
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2021
- Lincoln Ends Season with 3-2 Win in Sioux Falls - Lincoln Stars
- Steel to Face Dubuque in Eastern Conference Semifinals - Chicago Steel
- Doan Scores Four Goals As Steel Top Muskegon - Chicago Steel
- Ten Years Straight: Fighting Saints Earn Playoff Spot as Parik Shuts out Gamblers - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede End 2020-21 Season with Loss - Sioux Falls Stampede
- A Flourish for the Finish - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Complete Regular Season, Look Ahead to Clark Cup Playoffs - Tri-City Storm
- 2021 Clark Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Hit the Road for Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Force Fall But Clinch a 2021 Playoff Spot - Fargo Force
- Stars Finish Home Slate with 3-1 Win over Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Big Second Period Lifts USA Past Phantoms 7-4 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Hawks Upend Buccaneers Friday - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.