Stampede End 2020-21 Season with Loss
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Stampede finished the 2021-21 season with a 3-2 loss to the Lincoln Stars Saturday night at the PREMIER Center. The team finished with a cumulative 18-32-4 record over 54 games and will miss the Clark Cup Playoffs for just the sixth time in franchise history. Jack Smith and Ean Somoza scored for the Herd, while Burnham made the start in net.
Four of the five goals scored tonight were tallied in the first period with the Lincoln Stars grabbing the first one at 3:48 by Nikolai Mayorov. Stampede forward Jack Smith tied the game up with a puck shot by defenseman Max Rud that deflected off his skate and into the back of the net at 16:24. Ean Somoza gave the Herd the lead at 17:37 of the first period with a goal assisted by Sam Rhodes. One minute later Lincoln tied the game at 18:52 of the period with a score from Clay Hanus.
Jack Horbach gave the Stars the lead just 17 seconds into the third period on the power play. The Herd pulled their goaltender late but failed to make the opportunities count in a valiant effort.
While the Clark Cup Playoffs begin this week, the Stampede will begin preparations for the 2021 USHL Phase I and Phase II drafts beginning on May 26 and 27.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2021
- Lincoln Ends Season with 3-2 Win in Sioux Falls - Lincoln Stars
- Steel to Face Dubuque in Eastern Conference Semifinals - Chicago Steel
- Doan Scores Four Goals As Steel Top Muskegon - Chicago Steel
- Ten Years Straight: Fighting Saints Earn Playoff Spot as Parik Shuts out Gamblers - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Stampede End 2020-21 Season with Loss - Sioux Falls Stampede
- A Flourish for the Finish - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Storm Complete Regular Season, Look Ahead to Clark Cup Playoffs - Tri-City Storm
- 2021 Clark Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Tri-City Storm
- Storm Hit the Road for Final Game of Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- Force Fall But Clinch a 2021 Playoff Spot - Fargo Force
- Stars Finish Home Slate with 3-1 Win over Stampede - Lincoln Stars
- Big Second Period Lifts USA Past Phantoms 7-4 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Hawks Upend Buccaneers Friday - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Stampede Stories
- Stampede Have Team Record Six Players Selected During 2021 NHL Draft
- Sillinger Selected by Columbus Blue Jackets in 1st Round of NHL Draft
- Ean Somoza Named to USHL All-Academic Team
- Stampede Release 2021-22 Regular Season Schedule
- Stampede Selects 18 in USHL Phase II Draft