Stars Earn Wire-To-Wire Victory over Suns
SALT LAKE CITY - The Western Conference-leading Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, defeated the Northern Arizona Suns 124-116 in the final contest of their three-game homestand.
All five starters for the Stars finished in double figures, including three 20-plus point scorers. Mike Scott paced Salt Lake City with 23 points on 8-of-12 (.667) from the floor and 3-of-4 (.750) from beyond the arc. Rodney Pryor, who tallied his second consecutive 20-point performance with 22 points on 8-of-9 (.889) shooting and a perfect 4-of-4 from the three, while Trevon Bluiett added 22 points, five rebounds, four assists and two steals. Utah Jazz assignment player Miye Oni nabbed his first double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
The Suns were led by Ike Nwamu, who finished with a game-high 28 points on 8-of-10 (.800) shooting in 30 minutes off the bench. Jared Harper recorded 23 points and a game-high seven assists, and Aaron Epps led all reserves with 18 points and five rebounds.
Salt Lake City jumped out on a 13-5 run to start the game and built a 13-point lead by the end of the first quarter (34-21). The Stars held their advantage through the second quarter, taking a nine-point lead at intermission (64-55). Mike Scott exploded in the third quarter posting 16 points in under 10 minutes as the Stars expanded their lead to as many as 21 and took an 18-point at the end of the third frame (97-79). Northern Arizona outscored Salt Lake City 37-27 in the final frame and narrowed the lead to single digits late in the contest, but the Stars ultimately secured the wire-to-wire victory.
The Stars outshot the Suns from the field (.566-.425) and three-point range (.517-.263) and held the advantage in rebounds (40-37), assists (27-24) and fast break points (18-11). The Suns committed fewer turnovers (13-19), tallied more points in the paint (48-42), posted more second chance points (15-8) and racked up more points off the bench (64-26).
Salt Lake City will head out on a three-game road trip on Thursday, Jan. 16, against the Maine Red Claws (Boston Celtics affiliate). The game tips off at 5 p.m. (MT) and will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 14, 2020
- Comeback Win Extends Winning Streak for Vipers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Short-Handed Lakers Fall in Oklahoma City - South Bay Lakers
- Lakeland Magic Fall to Delaware Blue Coats - Lakeland Magic
- Red Claws Roll to 6th Straight Win - Maine Red Claws
- New York Knicks Sign Kenny Wooten to Two-Way Contract - Westchester Knicks
- Go-Go Add Stefan Jankovic - Capital City Go-Go
- Kings Assign Wenyen Gabriel and Justin James to Stockton Kings - Stockton Kings
- Memphis Hustle Waive Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson - Memphis Hustle
- NBA G League News and Notes - January 14 - G League
- Stars Earn Wire-To-Wire Victory over Suns - Salt Lake City Stars
- New Suns Guard Ike Nwamu Shows his Potential in Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Stars Win Overtime Thriller at Vivint Arena
- Stars Defeat Clippers to Earn Second Wire-To-Wire Victory of the Season
- Stars Add Willie Reed
- Stars Take Down Legends
- Stars Fall to Knicks