Stars Earn Overtime Victory in Northern Arizona
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, defeated the Northern Arizona Suns 95-88 in overtime in today's matinee contest. It marks the Stars' first overtime win since a double overtime victory on Dec. 30, 2016 vs. Sioux Falls.
The Stars (14-13) were paced by Shonn Miller, who led the team in scoring for the second time in the last three games with a team-high 18 points (11 in the first quarter) and eight rebounds. New Orleans Pelicans two-way player Trevon Bluiett scored 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while Jairus Lyles led all Stars reserves with 16 points. Tanner McGrew, who was acquired by the Stars on Jan. 21 from Memphis, finished with 13 points (10 in the first quarter) in 20 minutes of play off the bench.
Northern Arizona (6-25) was led by Hollis Thompson, who scored a game-high 21 points, his sixth 20-point game of the season. Trayvon Palmer recorded the game's lone double-double with 12 points and a game-high 14 rebounds off the bench, and Phoenix Suns two-way player George King tallied 17 points and nine boards.
There were 14 lead changes in regulation, including 10 in the first half, with the Stars leading by as many as eight points (26-18) in the first quarter. The game was knotted at 87-all after four quarters, and the Stars opened the extra frame with a 7-0 run, ultimately outscoring Northern Arizona 8-1 in OT behind five points by Lyles to earn the win and sweep the season series (3-0).
The Stars held the advantage in steals (12-10), turnovers (17-19), blocks (6-1) and points in the paint (40-36). The Suns dished out more assists (19-18) and outshot the Stars (.443-.425) while each team collected 44 rebounds.
Salt Lake City will conclude its three-game road trip with a date against the Agua Caliente Clippers (LA Clippers affiliate) on Thursday, Jan. 24, at 8 p.m. (MT). The contest, which is the first game of a road/home back-to-back set, will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 22, 2019
- Skyforce Snap Warriors' Six-Game Win Streak, Claim 103-96 Win in Sioux Falls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Defeat Warriors 103-96 to Avoid Series Sweep - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Blue Coats Acquire Keenan Evans and Returning Player Rights to Chris Horton from Grand Rapids Drive - Delaware Blue Coats
- Drive Acquire Rights to Long and Walker - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stars Earn Overtime Victory in Northern Arizona - Salt Lake City Stars
- Suns Give Kids a Show at Special Game, Come up Short in OT - Northern Arizona Suns
- Jaylen Adams and Alex Poythress Transferred to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Blue Coats Announce Details for 76ers Fieldhouse Opening Night & 2018-19 Promotional Schedule - Delaware Blue Coats
- Mad Ants Acquire Jordan Barnett and Ike Nwamu from Wisconsin - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Wisconsin Herd Obtains Elijah Stewart in Trade with Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Wisconsin Herd
- Hornets Recall Devonte' Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.