Stars Beat Heat 3-1 in School Day Game
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat lost to the Texas Stars (AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars) 3-1 on Tuesday morning at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat remain in second place in the West Division with a 33-19-4-2 record and 72 points.
It was the annual Abbotsford School District school day game, which featured thousands of middle school children throughout the Fraser Valley in attendance. After the Heat got on the board first, the Stars were able to score three unanswered goals including a pair from Dustin Jeffrey, who was named the first star of the game.
Sven Baertschi scored the opening goal of the game at 15:40 in the first period, assisted by Corey Locke. Late in the period, Dustin Jeffrey responded with a goal at 19:21 for the Stars, ending the first period in a 1-1 tie.
Jeffrey made it a 2-1 game with his second goal of the morning at 8:55 of the second period. Despite outshooting the Stars 19-17 through forty minutes, the Heat trailed 2-1.
Brett Ritchie gave the Stars a two goal cushion at the 10:29 mark in the third period, which eventually, sealed the win for the Stars.
Abbotsford was zero for three on the power play and killed off the one man advantage given to the Stars.
Joey MacDonald made 22 of 25 saves in a losing effort, while Jack Campbell stopped 23 of the 24 shots he faced.
The Heat will finish off a doubleheader with the Stars on Wednesday, March 5th at the AESC. This weekend, the Heat will return to action, facing off against the Chicago Wolves (AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues) on Saturday, March 8th and Sunday, March 9th. Saturday, will feature the next $3, $2, $1 Brew Dog'n Pop night. March 8th will also be Punjabi night, showcasing Punjabi food, music and dance. Sunday will be the annual Pucks 'n Paws game brought to you by Oly's Pet Connection. You can purchase Dog Tickets for just $5. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online at www.abbotsfordheat.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 4, 2014
- Amerks Rally Falls Short in 4-2 Loss to Rockford - Rochester Americans
- Charlotte Rallies for 3-2 Victory over Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Checkers Earn Comeback Win in Norfolk - Charlotte Checkers
- Mangene Traded, Heeter Recalled - Adirondack Phantoms
- Coyotes Acquire Martin Erat & John Mitchell from Washington - Portland Pirates
- Roberto Luongo Returns to Florida Panthers - San Antonio Rampage
- Brisebois Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Abbotsford Heat Foundation Grants Available - Abbotsford Heat
- Coyotes Trade Rundblad, Brisebois to Chicago for a Second Round Draft Choice in 2014 - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Game vs Texas Rescheduled for March 27 - San Antonio Rampage
- Veilleux Returns to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Claesson Suspended for One Game - Binghamton Senators
- Ottawa Acquires Mullen, Deals Costello to Vancouver - Binghamton Senators
- Stars Beat Heat 3-1 in School Day Game - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Sharks Host Two Promotion Packed Games this Weekend - Worcester Sharks
- Griffins Carry Five-Game Winning Streak into Three-Game Home Set - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Beat Heat 3-1, Reclaim First Place in Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Capitals Re-Assign Left Wing Nicolas Deschamps to Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Community - Pink in the Rink Donation, MDA Fundraising, and More - Adirondack Phantoms
- Coyotes Recall Rundblad from Conditioning Assignment - Portland Pirates
- Porter Recalled from Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Home Point Streak on the Line - Rockford IceHogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Dallas Stars Recall Chris Mueller from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Stars Weekly (Week 23) - Texas Back on Top of West Division - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.