Stars Acquire Returning Player Rights to Wes Washpun
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, have acquired the returning player rights to guard Wes Washpun and a third-round draft selection in the 2019 NBA G League Draft from the Iowa Wolves. In exchange, Iowa has received the returning player rights to center Diamond Stone.
Washpun (6-1, 175, Northern Iowa) appeared in 43 games (two starts) with the Iowa Wolves last season, averaging 6.6 points, 2.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 22.9 minutes. The Northern Iowa product has appeared in 77 career NBA G League games (20 starts) over two seasons with Iowa and he is currently playing internationally with Aguacateros de Michoacan in the LNBP, the top basketball league in Mexico. Washpun was named the MVC Sixth Man of the Year in 2015 and earned MVC Tournament Most Outstanding Player honors in 2016 during his collegiate career at Northern Iowa.
Stone (6-11, 255, Maryland) appeared in 31 games (13 starts) with Salt Lake City and the Windy City Bulls last season, averaging 16.0 points, 6.4 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 24.3 minutes. He was acquired by the Stars on Jan. 17, 2018, from Windy City.
The Stars will continue their homestand against the South Bay Lakers on Thursday, Nov. 15, hosting "Wizard Night presented by KeyBank" at Bruin Arena. Tickets for Stars home games, which start at $5, are available at slcstars.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 14, 2018
- Kornet Grabs Career-High as Knicks Defeat Canton, 106-95 - Westchester Knicks
- Windy City Drops Fifth Straight, Lose 110-92 to Hustle - Windy City Bulls
- Hustle Grind out Third Straight Win, Pull Away Late over Windy City - Memphis Hustle
- Sumner's 35 Propels Mad Ants to Third Consecutive Win - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Fall at Home to Knicks - Canton Charge
- Late Push Not Enough As Wolves Hold Off Clippers For First Win - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Wolves Fend off Clippers, Earn First Victory of Season - Iowa Wolves
- Drive, Modern Woodmen Host Veterans Night Game - Grand Rapids Drive
- Stars Acquire Returning Player Rights to Wes Washpun - Salt Lake City Stars
- Wolves Acquire Returning Player Rights to Diamond Stone in Trade with Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Suns' Near Perfect First Quarter Spoiled in End - Northern Arizona Suns
- Santa Cruz Warriors Continue Winning Streak with 115-112 Win over Northern Arizona Suns - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.