Squadron Fall to Capitanes, 112-101, in Friday Night Matchup
December 2, 2022 - NBA G League (G League) - Birmingham Squadron News Release
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - The Birmingham Squadron, NBA G League affiliate of the New Orleans Pelicans, dropped the first of two consecutive games against the Mexico City Capitanes, 112-101, on Friday night at Legacy Arena at the BJCC.
Birmingham (4-7) led by as many as 28 in the second half, but Mexico City (7-5) cut its deficit to nine at the end of the third quarter. The Capitanes tied the game at 87 with 7:38 to play and never relinquished the advantage.
Birmingham was led in scoring by Kira Lewis, Jr.'s 20 points. The Alabama product also contributed three rebounds and two assists. Kelan Martin tossed in 17 points, while two-way player Dereon Seabron tallied 14 in his first game back in the Magic City since being transferred from New Orleans on Thursday. Mason Jones scored 25 for Mexico City and Jahlil Okafor was responsible for 23 in the Capitanes comeback victory. Gary Clark posted a double-double for Mexico City with 12 points and 10 rebounds on the night.
Birmingham returns to the court on Sunday for its second game of the two-game series against Mexico City. Tipoff is scheduled for 5 p.m. and the contest can be watched on My68 WABM in Birmingham and nationally on NBAGLeague.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 2, 2022
- Memphis Hustle Edge Austin in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Squadron Fall to Capitanes, 112-101, in Friday Night Matchup - Birmingham Squadron
- Greensboro Swarm Bring Home a Big Win - Greensboro Swarm
- Maine Celtics Stopped in Greensboro - Maine Celtics
- Greensboro Swarm Held Formal Ribbon Cutting for Novant Health Fieldhouse at Greensboro Coliseum - Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Coats Down Raptors - Delaware Blue Coats
- Skyforce to Host Hometown Heroes Night - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Paul Hewitt Named G League Coach of the Month - Ontario Clippers
- Iowa Wolves Extend Winning Streak to Five - Iowa Wolves
- Santa Cruz to Host Season of Giving Community Events During Holidays - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Luka Samanic Named Kia NBA G Leauge Player of the Month - Maine Celtics
- DC Sports Teams Donate More Than $100,000 to Combat Gun Violence - Capital City Go-Go
- WNBA Players and Coaches to Lead Top African Prospects at Fourth NBA Academy Women's Camp Africa in Senegal - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Squadron Stories
- Squadron Victorious, 122-120, in Season Finale Against College Park
- Seabron's Triple-Double Not Enough as Iowa Tops Squadron, 139-131
- Squadron Top Capitanes 111-98 for Fourth Win in Last Five Games
- Squadron Drop Roadtrip Opener at Mexico City, 124-115
- Birmingham's 124-97 Victory at Iowa Gives Squadron Third Straight Win