Sporting KC Announces Schedule Through September
Sporting Kansas City announced today an additional three matches to the club's 2020 MLS regular season schedule through the end of September, including two nationally televised contests at Children's Mercy Park.
After hosting rivals Minnesota United FC in a battle for first place on Sunday, Sporting will begin the second phase of the continued regular season campaign with home matches against FC Dallas on Sept. 19 and Orlando City SC on Sept. 23 followed by a trip to the Colorado Rapids on Sept. 27.
From the beginning of October through Decision Day on Nov. 8, Sporting will play an additional nine MLS matches to round out the 23-game regular season. Additional 2020 MLS regular season matches will be announced pending further developments regarding travel protocols.
Sporting KC schedule: Next four matches of 2020 MLS regular season
Date Opponent Time (CT) TV & Streaming
Sunday, Sept. 13 MINNESOTA UNITED FC 7:30 p.m. FOX Sports KC; FOX Sports GO
Saturday, Sept. 19 FC DALLAS 2:30 p.m. Univision, UniMas, FOX Sports KC; FOX Sports GO
Wednesday, Sept. 23 ORLANDO CITY SC 6:30 p.m. FS1, FOX Deportes; FOX Sports app
Sunday, Sept. 27 at Colorado Rapids 8 p.m. FOX Sports KC; FOX Sports GO
In addition to announcing regular season match details through September, MLS also confirmed today qualification details and the competition format for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs. The postseason will again consist of single-elimination matches hosted by the higher-seeded team and follow a straight bracket format through MLS Cup on Dec.12. As previously announced, in an expansion of the postseason for 2020, 18 clubs will compete in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs. Eight teams from the 12-team Western Conference will qualify directly to Round 1. The top six seeds from the 14-team Eastern Conference will qualify directly to Round 1. Eastern Conference seeds 7-10 will each compete in a play-in match to determine the two additional Eastern Conference teams that will qualify for the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Round 1. The postseason schedule will be announced at a later date.
Sporting Kansas City home matches on Sept. 19 and 23 will be held at 18% capacity and follow comprehensive health and safety protocols. Among the many safety measures in place at Children's Mercy Park are the following:
Mandatory face covering for fans in attendance
A socially distanced stadium seating plan
A tailored ingress timing plan that promotes physical distancing
Temperature checks for fans upon arrival
Touchless ticket scanning and cashless payments at all transaction points
Walkway instructions along the stadium concourse and social distancing markers throughout the venue
One-way lines and pre-packaged meals and concessions
Thorough sanitation practices by stadium staff before, during and after each match
Beginning today, Season Ticket Members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets for Sporting Kansas City home matches on Sept. 19 and 23. Tickets for these games will go on sale to the general public next Monday, Sept. 14, at 10 a.m. CT via SeatGeek.com. For more information, Season Ticket Members can contact their Membership Service Executives.
Sporting Kansas City will continue to credential a limited number of media members for upcoming home matches at Children's Mercy Park. Media must apply for single-game credentials and can click here for more details.
Sporting's home tilt versus FC Dallas, kicking off at 2:30 p.m. CT on Sept. 23, will air nationally in Spanish on Univision and UniMas and regionally in English on FOX Sports Kansas City, FOX Sports Midwest and FOX Sports GO.
MLS is Back Tournament finalist Orlando City SC will venture to Children's Mercy Park on Sept. 23 for a 6:30 p.m. CT showdown. The inter-conference clash will feature national coverage on FS1, FOX Deportes and the FOX Sports app.
Sporting's away match at Colorado on Sept. 27 is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT, marking the club's second visit to Dick's Sporting Goods Park in less than a month. The fixture will be shown regionally on FOX Sports Kansas City and FOX Sports Midwest while streaming on FOX Sports GO.
As part of a longstanding radio partnership, every Sporting match this season will also air locally on Sports Radio 810 or one of its sister stations.
Sporting's home date with FC Dallas on Sept. 19 will serve as a rematch of the 1-1 draw between the sides on Sept. 2 at Children's Mercy Park, which saw forward Khiry Shelton bag his fourth goal of the season to move into a tie for the team lead alongside midfielder Gadi Kinda. Manager Peter Vermes' men are 8-2-3 in their last 13 home games against Dallas in all competitions, scoring 29 goals and conceding 13.
Eastern Conference contenders Orlando City SC will visit Children's Mercy Park for the third time ever on Sept. 23. The Lions -- who have yet to make a postseason appearance in their six-year history -- reached the final of the MLS is Back Tournament in August and currently occupy fourth place in the East thanks to standout play from Portuguese winger Nani and forward Chris Mueller, whose six goals rank third in MLS. Sporting has won each of its previous two home meetings against Orlando by a one-goal margin.
Sporting will close out the month of September with another trip to Dick's Sporting Goods Park, where they recently played the Rapids to a 1-1 draw on Aug. 29. Eighteen-year-old midfielder Gianluca Busio's long-range stunner in the second half helped the visitors emerge with a point in the 80th all-time meeting against Colorado, which features a pair of former Kansas City forwards in Kei Kamara and Diego Rubio.
Before the second phase of the continued MLS season begins, Sporting (5-3-2, 17 points) will host Minnesota United FC (5-3-2, 17 points) on Sunday. The highly anticipated Kick Childhood Cancer match will kick off at 7:30 p.m. CT with live coverage on FOX Sports Kansas City, FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports GO and ESPN 94.5 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 11, 2020
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Welcomes Colorado Rapids in Second Leg of 2020 Rocky Mountain Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Orlando City SC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Chicago Fire FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Philadelphia Union - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Nashville SC - Atlanta United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Frisco for Leg Two of the Texas Derby - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids - Colorado Rapids
- New York City FC Announces Next Three Games of MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- Major League Soccer Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Mutually Part Ways with Adrien Regattin - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bull Arena to Host New York City FC, Montreal Impact - New York Red Bulls
- MLS, Colorado Rapids Announce Next Slate of Regular Season Matches - Colorado Rapids
- Inter Miami CF's Regular Season Schedule Through September Announced - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville Soccer Club Unveils Its Next Three Regular Season Matches - Nashville SC
- Real Salt Lake Announces Remaining September Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- Major League Soccer Announces Matches Through End of September - New York Red Bulls
- Orlando City SC Announces Next Three Matches of MLS Regular-Season Schedule - Orlando City SC
- Three Additional LA Galaxy Matches Announced for Continuation of MLS Regular Season - LA Galaxy
- MLS Unveils Upcoming Games Through the End of September - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September - Chicago Fire
- LAFC and MLS Announce Continuation of 2020 Regular Season Schedule in Home Markets - Los Angeles FC
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Remainder of September Slate to Begin Phase Two of Major League Soccer's Continuation of Play Schedule - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through End of September - Atlanta United FC
- New England Revolution Add Three Games to Regular Season Schedule - New England Revolution
- Next three games of FC Cincinnati's regular-season schedule unveiled - FC Cincinnati
- Sporting KC Announces Schedule Through September - Sporting Kansas City
- Whitecaps FC Announce Additional Regular Season Schedule Through September - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- FC Dallas Announces Next Three September Matches - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Announce Regular Season Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC Announces Next Three Games of MLS Regular Season - New York City FC
- Toronto FC to Play Its Home Matches in Connecticut - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September - Minnesota United FC
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September - MLS
- MLS Announces Regular Season Schedule Through September - Philadelphia Union
- Houston Dynamo Begin Next Phase of MLS Season Saturday, September 19 vs. Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United and MLS Announce Regular Season Schedule Through September - D.C. United
- Timbers Square off against San Jose Earthquakes in Road Match on September 19 to Begin Next Slate of Regular-Season Matches - Portland Timbers
- Orlando City Hosts Inter Miami CF on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting and Minnesota to Battle for First Place on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City
- Sounders FC Offense Explodes in 7-1 Win over San Jose - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Score 7 in Rout of Earthquakes - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.