Split Doubleheader Saturday Sets up Series Clinching Game for Sunday
The Norfolk Tides split a doubleheader with the Durham Bulls on Saturday, with the Tides winning game one, 3-1, and losing game two, 6-1. The series now tied at 3-3 heading into the series finale.
In game one, the Tides got on the board first. In the first inning, Rylan Bannon started the game with a double, then scored on an RBI single by Tyler Nevin. Norfolk scored their second run in the top of the fourth inning when Robert Neustrom hit his seventh homer of the season, which doubled the Tides lead to, 2-0. It was Neustrom's 14th homer overall for his 2021 season.
Durham scored their only run of game two in the bottom of the fifth when Alika Williams hit his first Triple-A home run. It was the only run that Norfolk's start Kyle Bradish allowed, who would end up earning the win. He went 5.0 innings and allowed one run on three hits and three walks while striking out five hitters.
Norfolk would add another run in the sixth after a Yusniel Diaz RBI single to make the game, 3-1. Felix Bautista came in relief to close out the game and struck out three batters despite allowing two baserunners. Bautista earned his fourth save of the season, as the Tides won, 3-1.
In game two, Durham was much stronger offensively. The scored first in the bottom of the second inning when Garrett Whitley hit a two-run double to take the early lead. They scored two more in the bottom of the third when Dalton Kelly reached on an RBI fields choice and Ryan Boldt his an RBI double to go up, 4-0.
The Tides broke up a no-hitter in the top of the fourth when Kyle Stowers launched his first Triple-A home run of his career. It was his 25th of the season.
That was all Norfolk would muster, as they gave up two more runs in the sixth to lose, 6-1. As the series is now tied 3-3, the winner of Sunday's game will take the series. With first pitch at 5:05 p.m., LHP Ryan Hartman (1-0, 4.50) is starting for the Tides while Durham has not announced a starter yet.
• Discuss this story on the Triple-A East League message board...
Triple-A East League Stories from September 11, 2021
- Saints Set Triple-A East High in Runs, Blowout Storm Chasers 21-4 - St. Paul Saints
- Redbirds Grab Saturday Night Win in Nashville - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Fall to Memphis at First Horizon Park - Nashville Sounds
- Knights Split Saturday's Doubleheader with 'Shrimp - Charlotte Knights
- Shrimp and Knights Split 2-1 Wins in Doubleheader Saturday - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Split Doubleheader Saturday Sets up Series Clinching Game for Sunday - Norfolk Tides
- Baz, Bulls Keep Tides at Bay with 6-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- RailRiders Rally past Rochester - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Wings Blow Six-Run Lead Saturday in 11th Straight Loss - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Win Streak Snapped in 3-2 Loss to Mets - Buffalo Bisons
- Jordan Yamamoto Excels in Major League Rehab Start - Syracuse Mets
- Rivera Walks off Game Two in Doubleheader Split Versus IronPigs - Worcester Red Sox
- September 11 Game Notes: Iowa vs. Toledo - Iowa Cubs
- Walk-Off Home Run Hands Indy Saturday Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- De Le-Owns Indy with Second Walkoff Homer of 2021 - Louisville Bats
- Tides Beat Bulls 3-1 in Game One of Saturday Twinbill - Durham Bulls
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - September 11, 2021 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Memphis Redbirds Game Notes: September 11, 2021 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (53-58) at Louisville Bats (48-63) - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.