Spikes Even Series in 4-2 Decision
Williamsport, Penn. - The State College Spikes broke a 2-2 tie in the eighth on a two-run homer to left by Andrew Warner (7th) to emerge with a 4-2 victory over the Williamsport Crosscutters on Monday night at BB&T Ballpark. The three-game series is even at one game each entering the scheduled rubber match on Tuesday in Happy Valley.
Nicolas Torres collected two of his team's five hits and is now 11-for-20 in his last five games. He also played in the outfield for the first time in his career. Herbert Iser had an RBI on a sacrifice fly.
Bryson Stott made his debut at third base one day after trying it out at second base. He made a sparkling bare-hand play on a slow tapper to the left of the mound while going 1-for-4 at the plate with a run scored.
Spencer Van Scoyoc (ND) was effective out of the pen with three innings of two-hit shutout ball that included four strikeouts. Gabriel Yanez (L, 0-1) took the loss for the Cutters surrendering Warner's two-run bomb in the eighth.
The result ends a two-game win streak for Williamsport (22-35) while also snapping a two-game losing skid for State College (28-28)
Williamsport will wrap up the three-game series on Tuesday at State College with LHP Chris Micheles scheduled to start. The Cutters are opening a season-long seven-game road-trip with trips to State College, Auburn and West Virginia.
SC 4 7 1 (4)
WIL 2 5 1 (7)
W - Fabian Blanco (2-0)
L - Gabriel Yanez (0-1)
HR - SC, Andrew Warner (7)
Crosscutters Record: 22-35
Next Game: Tuesday, August 12, 7:05 p.m. at State College
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Warner's Blast Leads to Spikes' 4-2 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Brewer Hits First Pro Homer as 'Cats Defeat Tigers 7-5 - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Even Series in 4-2 Decision - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Hudson Valley Relievers Surrender Six Runs in Loss - Hudson Valley Renegades
- ValleyCats Early Runs Stump Tigers - Connecticut Tigers
- Spinners Salvage Series with 6-2 Victory over Renegades - Lowell Spinners
- Aberdeen No-Hits Vermont In 7-0 Victory - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Bryant & the Brooklyn Boys Win 4-1 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Over $11,000 Donated to ACES North America - Williamsport Crosscutters
- O'Hoppe and Stott Earn Organizational Honors for the Month of July - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Bats, Pitching Carry Doubledays over West Virginia - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.